Living with hereditary disease and trying to lose weight

Options
Morning folks! So, it's time to get serious!! I have over 100 lbs to lose and have few exercises I can do because of my very poor balance. I use a walker 80% of the time which helps to ease exhaustion but I wake up tired, I am tired through the day and any bit of exercise makes me all the more tired. I don't sleep well and I know I need to make changes before I progress even further. Any ideas? Anyone else dealing with health issues besides being morbidly obese?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly about a calorie deficit, so exercise within your ability and eat less than you have been.
    The weight will come off!
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I also have over 100 pounds to lose. I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. I'm tired all the time and my balance sucks too. I am on a medicine that helps me stay awake but it doesn't give me energy. I had no idea the array of symptoms these diseases have! Anyway, I too am VERY limited in what I can do for exercise. Taking a shower for me IS exercise!! I'm sure you understand. I'm concentrating on just eating healthy. I'm hoping if I lose some weight, I may be able to do more. Please...add me as a friend...we seem to have so much in common, I think we would be great support for each other! WE'RE GOING TO DO THIS TOGETHER!!!
  • JohnandCatherinesmom
    JohnandCatherinesmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to add people but you are right atitagain, we have very similar situations. I have Spinocerabellar Ataxia, the best way to describe it is Parkinson's, MS and Huntington's rolled into one big ball of DNA disaster! I am lucky though, mine is a slow progression version! Most of my friends who have Ataxia have fast progression versions and have problems keeping weight on...I made three trips to the compost bin this morning and put in a load of laundry and I am honestly ready for a nap! Instead I came on and put in my breakfast on my food diary! If you know how to add people, please add me, we will get through this together!
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yo click on their name, and when the message window appears you click on their name again. In that window you can click "add" and a friend request will be sent. That's how it is on the phone app anyway
  • JohnandCatherinesmom
    Options
    Thank you Wesheets!
  • kprae17
    kprae17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 18 and have to lose 40 pounds or more. I understand the genetic conditions most of you deal with. I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, which basically means my soft tissue doesn't heal or form right. In fact, I'm facing my fourth knee surgery in four years on the same knee. They told me I have to lose the weight or my symptoms could get worse (not that their great now). I completely understand that some days getting up is hard. Please add me if you want support. Good luck to all!
  • JohnandCatherinesmom
    Options
    Kprae17 I know exactly what EDS is! One of my good friends who has SCA also has EDS!!! She also has a couple other things too that make life a living hell for her! I hope you get a decent amount of support from your family...are you off to college/university or working?
  • RogerShehata
    RogerShehata Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Morning folks! So, it's time to get serious!! I have over 100 lbs to lose and have few exercises I can do because of my very poor balance. I use a walker 80% of the time which helps to ease exhaustion but I wake up tired, I am tired through the day and any bit of exercise makes me all the more tired. I don't sleep well and I know I need to make changes before I progress even further. Any ideas? Anyone else dealing with health issues besides being morbidly obese?

Hi, i've been in the industry for 14 years and have helped hundreds of people lose weight all around the world. If you would like more information, please contact me.