Disheartening creep

2»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I find creeps disheartening too. Just remind yourself they are people and probably don't realize how creepy they are.

That's totally what I thought this thread was going to be about when I opened it! Man am I disappointed it's another period weight gain bloating water retention why is my scale going the wrong direction thread...

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty much trying to go back to a half a pound a week deficit. Did great this week, but PMS is going to start soon so I'm not holding my breath! I've been trying to lose more for 2 years, just having a really hard time with it, obviously... but I think I'm more motivated now to try harder... I'm just hungrier so I basically can't afford any treat if I want to lose. It sucks!

Maybe a fresh approach might be better if you have been trying without success for two years?
    Every day deficit when you are already feeling hungry is hard.

There's lot's of other ways to create a deficit.

Can't exercise/move more than I already do!

That's not what I meant.
    Why do you think you need a deficit every day? Why do you think you need to eat the same every day? Every week?

Loads of versions of IF for example or just calorie cycling or just a sporadic deficit whilst generally eating at maintenance.
    Or diet for a week at a time, don't diet for one week a month - there's loads of options.

If what you have been doing for two years isn't working what is the chance that it suddenly will?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Yeah I'm pretty much trying to go back to a half a pound a week deficit. Did great this week, but PMS is going to start soon so I'm not holding my breath! I've been trying to lose more for 2 years, just having a really hard time with it, obviously... but I think I'm more motivated now to try harder... I'm just hungrier so I basically can't afford any treat if I want to lose. It sucks!

Maybe a fresh approach might be better if you have been trying without success for two years?
    Every day deficit when you are already feeling hungry is hard.

There's lot's of other ways to create a deficit.

Can't exercise/move more than I already do!

That's not what I meant.
    Why do you think you need a deficit every day? Why do you think you need to eat the same every day? Every week?

Loads of versions of IF for example or just calorie cycling or just a sporadic deficit whilst generally eating at maintenance.
    Or diet for a week at a time, don't diet for one week a month - there's loads of options.

If what you have been doing for two years isn't working what is the chance that it suddenly will?

It's what I do though! I eat at a deficit most days so I can eat more the other days. Can't do IF because of hypoglycemia issues (which get way worse before my period, when I typically end up eating over maintenance a bit because I get so hungry.. which doesn't help).

So yeah, only way for me to lose at this point is to cut pretty much all my 'empty' calories (sweets, bread) and every time I've done it, I end up binging... so it's just not that easy (or I would have reached my goal weight in the first place!).
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Except this poster has never been diagnosed as having 'hypoglycemia issues'. She has never seen an endocrinologist or ever done a fasting blood test but announced to the Internet this is her problem..
    Self diagnosis is not a good thing. OP I think you need help. You are not a doctor.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I am 44 and in the midst of perimenopause - TOM unpredictability at its finest! It is quite fun *insert sarcasm here* when your body prepares for that TOM (bloating, water weight, cravings etc.) and then NOT have anything happen! The doctor told me I can probably get a better handle on things if I go on BC. However, my ulcerative colitis may return if I do. When I went off BC on two separate occasions, I would go into remission. Hmmm ... I do see a correlation. The bottom line is that as women, we just gotta grin and bear it. However, we don't have to be particularly happy about it. I am dragging 5 extra pounds right now which is unexplained given that I eat at a deficit every day, do cardio 5x a week (2x being HIIT) and weights for two.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member

I think you're right to be vigilant to prevent your weight creeping up again too far, but at the same time I think maybe you're being a little too hard on yourself right now and your current weight is most likely due to the time of the month etc.

If you're looking your "thinnest yet", how do you actually FEEL about your size and shape? Not the number on the scale, but how you look and feel. If you've not had any success with losing more weight, can you be happy and comfortable at the size you are right now? Perhaps lifting weights might help to shape your body more to your satisfaction than going after a particular number on the scale will? (I know next to nothing about weights, just going by what I see others on the forums say! :) )

If you get very hungry and end up binging when you restrict too much, then I'm not sure what else you could do. I think I've seen you mention before that your limbs are fairly thin but you carry more weight in your midsection, so maybe lifting would help with that? You look fine to me, although if you're not happy with your shape then that is of course your prerogative! :)
  • Francl27
    SueSueDio wrote: »

I think you're right to be vigilant to prevent your weight creeping up again too far, but at the same time I think maybe you're being a little too hard on yourself right now and your current weight is most likely due to the time of the month etc.

If you're looking your "thinnest yet", how do you actually FEEL about your size and shape? Not the number on the scale, but how you look and feel. If you've not had any success with losing more weight, can you be happy and comfortable at the size you are right now? Perhaps lifting weights might help to shape your body more to your satisfaction than going after a particular number on the scale will? (I know next to nothing about weights, just going by what I see others on the forums say! :) )

If you get very hungry and end up binging when you restrict too much, then I'm not sure what else you could do. I think I've seen you mention before that your limbs are fairly thin but you carry more weight in your midsection, so maybe lifting would help with that? You look fine to me, although if you're not happy with your shape then that is of course your prerogative! :)

I mostly carry weight on my hips at this point... and obviously my belly a bit, but there's so much loose skin, it's pretty much hopeless (and frankly at this point the more I lose there, the worse it looks anyway).

I loathe lifting and I like my arms the way they are and don't want them to look more muscular either (or my legs, for that matter), so unless I find something that only works the core, I'm kinda stuck (I do planks and push ups - can't do crunches because my ab muscles cramp up every single time). So basically, I'd just really like to lose a few more pounds of fat... so I have to keep a deficit. I'm trying! Thankfully Summer is easier for me as a whole as sweets don't appeal to me as much when it's hot.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Except this poster has never been diagnosed as having 'hypoglycemia issues'. She has never seen an endocrinologist or ever done a fasting blood test but announced to the Internet this is her problem..
    Self diagnosis is not a good thing. OP I think you need help. You are not a doctor.

Interesting.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member

I think this is a good idea.
    If someone is having such bad period problems then they should really see a doctor. This isn't a one time thing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    If this were me I'd see an endo that would hopefully put me on some of type of birth control (there are many to choose from), that would help lessen the symptoms.. Going through hell for half a month every month is no way to live, there has to be a solution out there for you OP.
  • nutmegoreo
    If this were me I'd see an endo that would hopefully put me on some of type of birth control (there are many to choose from), that would help lessen the symptoms.. Going through hell for half a month every month is no way to live, there has to be a solution out there for you OP.

Agree!
  • Francl27
    edited July 2016

I've only had bad experiences with pills so I admit I'm very reluctant to try them. The smallest dose made my cholesterol spike, and having to be put on Statin is something I'd really avoid too (my cholesterol has always been relatively high as it is... stupid genetics!).

But it's been better since I figured out that it's high carb foods that trigger it - especially in the morning or if I don't have a bunch of protein and fat with it. The last few months I was able to eat just a bit over maintenance that week, which is a huge improvement. So again, sure, maybe it's not hypoglycemia and calling it that way is wrong, but it sure feels like the same thing. It just happens 2 weeks a month instead of all the time, thankfully (but I'm still careful the rest of the time just in case!).

Anyway, my annual check up is in September but all my doctors have dismissed my symptoms as 'normal' anyway, so *shrug*
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    If you are objectively (tape measure as opposed to mirror) smaller at a higher weight you should be celebrating. At the end of the day, who cares what the scale says - people see the size you are not the number on the scale. The reason I say you should be celebrating is because any increase in weight means you also increase your BMR meaning you get to eat more to maintain your body weight. I suspect that some of the 8lbs is water weight from hormonal factors and DOMS-related factors but some might also be muscle. I was literally so excited this year when I realised that I was the same size (or a little smaller) but 2kgs heavier - hello muscle and more food!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    gmallan wrote: »
    If you are objectively (tape measure as opposed to mirror) smaller at a higher weight you should be celebrating. At the end of the day, who cares what the scale says - people see the size you are not the number on the scale. The reason I say you should be celebrating is because any increase in weight means you also increase your BMR meaning you get to eat more to maintain your body weight. I suspect that some of the 8lbs is water weight from hormonal factors and DOMS-related factors but some might also be muscle. I was literally so excited this year when I realised that I was the same size (or a little smaller) but 2kgs heavier - hello muscle and more food!

What makes you think this OP has gained muscle?
  • Francl27
    gmallan wrote: »

I tried on the swimsuit I bought last year that was just too tight to be comfortable and it fit just fine. Actually wore it to the water park yesterday. So I know it's not in my head.

I just can't imagine I'm actually building muscle as I really, really, hate lifting.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

If someone is having such bad period problems then they should really see a doctor. This isn't a one time thing.

this
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Oh well I suppose it's the kick I needed to really get back to a deficit,
    You got it!

• nutmegoreo

@Francl27

I know you said your doctor writes it off as normal, have you gotten a second opinion? Seen an endocrinologist? Honestly, the amount this seems to be effecting you is not normal. Many women go through *babysloth* for a week, some have symptoms a little longer. You seem to be suffering about 3/4 of the time. That's not okay. I would start knocking down doctor doors until someone listened.
  • Francl27

@Francl27

I know you said your doctor writes it off as normal, have you gotten a second opinion? Seen an endocrinologist? Honestly, the amount this seems to be effecting you is not normal. Many women go through *babysloth* for a week, some have symptoms a little longer. You seem to be suffering about 3/4 of the time. That's not okay. I would start knocking down doctor doors until someone listened.

Yeah but I've been that road before and it's exhausting... I've mentioned it to two different GYNs and my GP so far.

But I'll bring it up again at my next GP appointment for sure and see if she can recommend one (I think there are a couple in that practice anyway). To be fair... it never even occurred to me that it could be more helpful until I read all the replies here, so thanks for the advice!
  • nutmegoreo

@Francl27

Yeah but I've been that road before and it's exhausting... I've mentioned it to two different GYNs and my GP so far.

But I'll bring it up again at my next GP appointment for sure and see if she can recommend one (I think there are a couple in that practice anyway). To be fair... it never even occurred to me that it could be more helpful until I read all the replies here, so thanks for the advice!

There has to be some options. To be honest, just reading about it is exhausting. I can't imagine from your perspective. Do more than just bring it up. Ask what kinds of tests can be done to rule out any problems. And then if there are any suggestions for diet/lifestyle changes or some medications which could help balance. If I were going through what you regularly describe, I'd be asking about surgical options as well. At least if they see your concerns are serious (and that you are seriois), they may take a stronger approach.