Upgrading my Fitbit? Is it worth it? Different activity tracker?

Options
change4char
change4char Posts: 85 Member
edited July 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a Fitbit zip, the most basic one. It helped me with losing weight, but when it comes down to it, it's only a pedometer. I've been wanting to upgrade to a more intuitive one. Which Fitbit do you recommend? Or is there a different activity tracker you like?

Thanks!!

Replies

• racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I went from a Fitbit Charge HR to an Apple Watch and couldn't be happier with it. It does everything the Charge HR did and then some, plus it looks so much nicer.
  • gamespriteicon
    gamespriteicon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My experience. I had the Flex for a year and then upgraded to the Alta and really love them. The Alta helps me more because I can check my progress on the device it self instead of relying on my phone, so if I am only a few hundred steps away from the next thousand before bed I make it happen unless I'm exhausted.

Little warning: You do have to be a little more aware when picking up and putting down little one. I accidentally scratched my son's back (18 months on the 9th) putting him down for a diaper change, while he was trying to do a back bend. No bleeding but left a little mark. Think it has to do with the little bit that is raised higher then the band and just the right angle at the right time. Have had it since April, and that was the only incident.

Other than that he loves that I wear it. When he is needing cuddle time he will sit there and hit it and watch it light up. He loves that I have to job in place and do side steps so I can get my goal, he wants to be picked up and held, when he's tired he will pass out.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I really like the Garmin Ecosystem. But, if I remember correctly, you're not going to be able to export your Fitbit Data over to Garmin so you'll lose your history and have to start fresh over.

With that being said unless your wanting HR data I would stick with the Zip.
    I went from a Fitbit Charge HR to an Apple Watch and couldn't be happier with it. It does everything the Charge HR did and then some, plus it looks so much nicer.

What if the OP is an Android user. the iWatch and Android do not play well together. Apple refuses to release their API for the iWatch so Android/Google cannot play with it.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It depends what you want it to do, Fitbit have a huge range now for a range of prices, and from experience their returns / customer service is excellent so if it doesn't work for you they're normally good with refunds.

I have a fitbit blaze, I used to have a clip-on 'one', but it did my head in as I always forgot to attach it and washed it more than once. I wanted to wear one thing, that tracked all of that plus acted like a watch, gave me my texts, alarms, and reminders. I initially went for a Surge, but had to change it as it gave me a rash, So the Blaze is great and does what I need it to. I only need to charge it once a week, I bought an extra strap so it's less obvious than some of the other trackers, it was fairly steep but I don't see myself changing it for a long time to come.

There are other brangs like jawbone but I've never used them

I looked at a smart watch (Apple and other brands) but they are SO expensive, really rely on having your phone with you and the battery is fairly pants, my husband has a android one, it's good for him (bit too big for me) and he has to charge it every other day. It suits him, but not for me.

TL;DR Work out exactly what you want (essential/desirable) for a tracker and get one that ticks your boxes.
  • racheljonel
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    I really like the Garmin Ecosystem. But, if I remember correctly, you're not going to be able to export your Fitbit Data over to Garmin so you'll lose your history and have to start fresh over.

With that being said unless your wanting HR data I would stick with the Zip.

What if the OP is an Android user. the iWatch and Android do not play well together. Apple refuses to release their API for the iWatch so Android/Google cannot play with it.

If she's an android user then she shouldn't get an Apple Watch?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It helped me with losing weight, but when it comes down to it, it's only a pedometer. I've been wanting to upgrade to a more intuitive one.

What does this mean? What do you hope to get, for your money?

I had a Fitbit One, actually several of them. We had contests at work. They lowered our health insurance rates. First one died when I forgot to take it out of my pocket and put the pants in the wash. Second one, same fate. Third one, I set down somewhere before I went to bed and never found it again. Disqualified me from the contest. Now I've got a wrist watch, not a band but an actual watch, it's always with me, I can't lose it or forget and put it in the laundry. That's been important for me. Mine is a Garmin watch, I use the GPS cycling and hiking.
  • Carebear530
    Carebear530 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Can you tell me what it does extra?
  • racheljonel
    Options

Can you tell me what it does extra?

It has the ability to track rowing and exercises like that, which my fitbit didn't do. It also focuses more on activity than steps, which i like, and gives reminders to get up and move around every hour, which my fitbit also did not do. The biggest difference I get notifications from my phone on it...like calls, texts, emails, facebook, etc. I can respond to texts on it via voice or pre-set messages or emojis. Same with emails. It just does more all around...plus like I said it looks really sleek and the color display is super cool too.