ideal v realistic eaters / feel worse about myself

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
I've been looking at other people's food diaries for inspiration & practically feel food shamed.

Everybody seems to be eating organic this, wheat grass that, 1/2 tsp of dressing on a bowl of kale salad,.

I'm never gonna eat that. Ever, no matter what.

My diary contains food I bought at my local grocery store. It includes the bad stuff. Yes, I ate chips yesterday. I had several drinks at a party over the holiday weekend & pigged out at another BBQ.

I had a smoothie for breakfast today but many of you would probably tell me I had 2 based on the portion size. Fine. It's still better then the can of regular Pepsi & a donut I had for breakfast every day for the past 20 years. My plan for lunch today is a Greek yogurt & a granola bar; again a major positive change from the pizza & McDonald's I've regularly eaten. For dinner I'm planning grilled chicken breast, an ear of corn (yes, with butter) and maybe a baked potato, again with butter & a sprinkle of salt & pepper. That has always been a pretty typical dinner; I'm just paying attention to the size of the chicken & how much butter I use, plus drinking water not wine.

I think I'm improving but parts of this site make me feel WORSE about myself because I'm not eating perfectly.

How do I find diaries & people I can relate to more?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Oh Hell no!!!! I haven't even touched Kale. Heck I avoid salad because I find it so boring.

I eat foods I like - I'd never have stuck to it otherwise. You're doing it right.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So I know I already sent you a friend request, but thought I'd drop a line here as well for others looking for more liberal eaters.

I generally don't feel bad when I see people on my friends list eating the trendy "good" stuff. There have been a couple times where I've actually been interested in learning more about some of the items they have, but in the end everybody has different goals and methods of achieving them. :)
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Please don't feel worse about yourself. I don't share my diary, but I can tell you that I do use butter, without guilt. I don't eat perfectly either, what fun is that. I am still losing, that is all that matters for me! Are you losing weight/Inches? If so what is wrong with your diary. They only thing I see that is bad is that Greek Yogurt and a granola bar would NOT satisfy me for lunch!! I would be starving and cranky by mid afternoon. Are you staying within your calories? My diary is something like this today.....Breakfast Steel Cut Oats with Vanilla Greek Yogurt, strawberries and blueberries, Large Coffee with Milk, Morning Snack a Medium Apple. Lunch a cup of steamed broccoli and 5oz of baked pork tenderloin, Afternoon snack is a Mixed Green Salad with a tbsp of Kraft Sun Dried Tomato Dressing. Not sure what dinner will be yet....which I know is not good!! BTW....my evening snack yesterday was a Magnum Double Chocolate Caramel Ice Cream Bar....and it was DEEEELICIOUS!!!! Still came in under my calories yesterday!!

Hope you have a super fantastic day!!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Thank you all

Joanna2012B
    -- yeah that will be OK for lunch. I won't eat them at the same time. So maybe the bar is the snack. But the water during the work day helps. I want to make sure I put something in my system before I head to the gym. I'm meeting with a potential trainer tonight.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest with you, if I see kale show up in a friend's diary I'm snickering. That stuff is so bitter and gross to me!

I'm a firm believer in making choices you can stick with your whole life. Could I switch to organic everything? Sure! But I'm not sticking to it the rest of my life. And given that I make my smoothies at home, one serving size is whatever I consume in one sitting.

For any 'diet' to work, you have to stick to it, or some variety of it, for the rest of your life. I'll still be getting fast food for convenience sake from time to time when I hit maintenance, so it's imperative that I learn to make smart choices in that arena now, while I'm actively counting calories.

And while I do eat a lot of salads, it's because I like the taste of them. I'm with you on the Greek yogurt thing too. Once you find one that you like, it's a wonderful source of protein.

Add me if you'd like. I don't always 'close' my diary in time to have it post to the newsfeed, but it's always open.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I can assure my diary looks nothing like the ones you have described. I do often eat salads for lunch during the work week because I like them, they are relatively easy and help me eat more vegetables. But yesterday was a major junk food binge for me, still keeping me somewhere around maintenance. Most days I have crackers, cheese and dessert.

As for your smoothie, it doesn't matter how many portions/servings people say you should call it. All that matters is you logged the nutrition information correctly, it left you satisfied, and it is helping you in your goals.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It was trying to do what you think you have to do, that made it impossible for me to succeed, because I ended up doing what you used to do. It's doing what you are doing, but think you shouldn't be doing, after I decided that good enough has to be good enough, that made me succeed.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You have to be realistic. Your goal isn't just to lose weight, but to keep it off, which means re-training your eating habits for the long term. So, while you do need to find better habits, they have to be sustainable.

I've taken a 2 pronged attack
    1. Cutting out the sugary shite, because much of the time I didn't really enjoy it.
    2. Taking care of portion sizes and only snacking if I'm sure I need a snack. A slightly rumbly tummy or a craving doesn't cut it, here.

Apart from that, I've merely shifted to a better version of what I normally eat. That includes wine (sometimes, still, too much!) and still includes a fair bit of convenience food - partly for variety and partly because various circumstances dictate that I'd be living off toast or fish fingers if I didn't keep the odd prick with a fork package in the fridge.

If I want a lovely creamy chicken korma, I will have that chicken korma in all its full fat glory - with brown basmati rice and a pile of cauliflower or salad. Filling, enjoyable, nutritious and far from busting my calorie allowance for the day. Low fat chicken korma is beyond disappointing and not how I intend to eat for the rest of my life.

Unsurprisingly, I've found that the snack cravings have all but vanished since cutting out the sugary shite.

Oh - and I love green veg but kale is like eating plastic.
  • StarryJD
    StarryJD Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Feel free to friend me - I'm somewhere in the middle. I definitely do not do the wheat grass smoothie type stuff but I am careful about when during the day I consume my beer & desserts :)
    Too early and I end up having a sugar crash followed by a hunger emergency.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary if you want to feel better. I'm actually more likely to dodge a product listed as organic, for more reasons than just the cost difference.

ETA: oh, and sausage, eggs and cheese are delicious
  • Sept111944
    Sept111944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Each of us has different needs and tastes beyond the required nutrition allowances. After looking seriously at what I was eating I realized that I was following old dogmas in eating habits. I ate cereal milk and fruit because "You have to start with a good breakfast". Not! I feel better when I don't eat breakfast and the carbs set me up to crave more. Bread is supposed to be a requirement for every meal. Not. I realized I was choking down the bread on a sub roll when I didn't want it so I still order a sub but take off half the bread. I was raised on potatoes at every meal and had to add lots of butter to choke it down. 1/2 a med potato satisfies me now and I don't worry about the butter. Long story short, listen to your body. Eat smaller portions and if you're hungry you can always have more.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad about your diary!! You're making changes to your eating habits that you can sustain for life! I generally don't eat organic, I'd rather not pay up the behind because something is organic. I eat butter, I eat bacon, yesterday I ate chocolate cheesecake mousse. I'm sure a lot of people would scoff at my diary, that isn't my problem. By the sounds of it you're making the right changes that are sustainable FOR YOU! That's awesome! You do you! Perhaps in the meantime you could avoid looking at other people's diaries until you get comfortable with where you're at and the results you're getting.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    Thank you all

Joanna2012B
    -- yeah that will be OK for lunch. I won't eat them at the same time. So maybe the bar is the snack. But the water during the work day helps. I want to make sure I put something in my system before I head to the gym. I'm meeting with a potential trainer tonight.

I just meant that would not be enough food for me, it's a good choice though. I tried the whole Kale in my salad and still can't do it.....so I don't! I wouldn't ever want salad if that is what I had to eat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. Open to the public. Not trying to win a perfect dieter award.
    I eat the same foods I always did just in more appropriate portion sizes for my goal. I even have fast food once a week. I eat desserts. You should make small changes and eat in a way you can sustain. If you can't imagine giving up a food forever then don't give it up to lose weight.

I typically eat stuff like this:
    Breakfast- Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese (about 200-300 calories)
    Lunch- sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers (about 300-500 calories)
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. (about 500-600 calories) I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese (about 100-300 calories)

Weight loss is about calories not type of food. Type of food you eat is about preference and meeting your nutritional needs.
    Pizza has plenty of nutrition. You probably can't eat a whole pizza but 1-2 slices with a salad is a decent meal. A doughnut doesn't have much nutrition and isn't very filling for the calories so you have to think if that is the best use of your calories every day. Maybe you decide that you meet your needs fine and a daily doughnut fits. Maybe there are other foods you like better that fit your goals better so you drop the daily doughnut.

A lot of people find getting plenty of protein, fats and fiber to be more satisfying. I'd advise trying to hit your protein goal and getting several servings of vegetables or fruits a day. Make small changes that you can sustain.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate Chipotle for lunch then had a big, juicy chicken sandwich for dinner. At work today they're catering pizza. I will skip the pizza and eat my turkey, ham and cheese sandwich. I agree with what others said. You have to do what is sustainable for a lifetime. Sometimes that's making healthy choices, sometimes its not. Don't let it make you feel bad. You do you and let everyone else do themselves.

I don't have an open diary. Actually I haven't been logging lately anyway, so it doesn't matter :D
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at other people's food diaries for inspiration & practically feel food shamed.

Everybody seems to be eating organic this, wheat grass that, 1/2 tsp of dressing on a bowl of kale salad,.

I'm never gonna eat that. Ever, no matter what.

My diary contains food I bought at my local grocery store. It includes the bad stuff. Yes, I ate chips yesterday. I had several drinks at a party over the holiday weekend & pigged out at another BBQ.

I had a smoothie for breakfast today but many of you would probably tell me I had 2 based on the portion size. Fine. It's still better then the can of regular Pepsi & a donut I had for breakfast every day for the past 20 years. My plan for lunch today is a Greek yogurt & a granola bar; again a major positive change from the pizza & McDonald's I've regularly eaten. For dinner I'm planning grilled chicken breast, an ear of corn (yes, with butter) and maybe a baked potato, again with butter & a sprinkle of salt & pepper. That has always been a pretty typical dinner; I'm just paying attention to the size of the chicken & how much butter I use, plus drinking water not wine.

I think I'm improving but parts of this site make me feel WORSE about myself because I'm not eating perfectly.

I feel the same way. I went on a thread to get meal ideas and was blown away by how many people just eat a hard boiled egg. Or salad with next to no dressing or a handful of nuts. One person says she just dumps Salsa on her salad. (Sorry, but that just sounds YUCK to me). Sufficed to say, I didnt leave those threads with any good meal ideas. It made me feel like I'm dieting wrong cuz I'm still eating food that taste good to me and doesnt make me feel like the equivalent of a rabbit. I'm eating way better than I used to and am losing weight. The only thing I can assume is that most of these people don't have a considerable amount of weight to lose anymore and are mostly trying to maintain or don't have many calories per day so they have to drastically cut back and be very cautious of what they eat. They could also be on special diets for health reasons. Like you, I was a little jaded that I wasn't doing enough or eating right, but everyone is different and you can still lose weight as long as you stay within your daily calories and exercise. I was on weight watchers years ago and lost a lot of weight still eating normal foods. I would even still eat fast food on occasion as long as it kept me within my points. Plus I exercised, but not much more than walking or going on the treadmill. Keep it up! We can do it! Just do what is working for you.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What others eat is a pesonal choice and you should't feel bad about what you eat. Some will choose organic, plant based diets and will feel good doing so while others will just eat whatever they want as long as it fits in their calories and that is absolutely fine as well. One is not more ideal than the other.

I'm the organic kale and salad vegetarian in the house while my husband eats loads of meat, chips, pizza, sodas and so on and that's just fine! We have both equally been able to achieve our goals and he doesn't feel bad for eating what he likes just as much as I don't feel like I'm better for eating kale :wink:
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Trish1c,
    I'm with you!!! I keep my diary private just for this reason. I cannot eat the way some people do. I am simply too hungry and I like food too much. I do my best to eat right, don't do the "organic" thing, I exercise hard and then have learned to forgive myself for days like the 4th when I binge! I'm healthier and happier than I was 3 years ago, so Ive just decided to do my best then enjoy life.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

What makes wheatgrass and kale 'better' than bbq and yogurt and smoothies and corn and potatoes? Don't compare yourself or your diet to others. Statistically we are all likely to fail at maintaining weight loss. Eating foods you don't enjoy is not going to help you beat that statistic.