too fast?

I know that none of you want to hear this but over the last 8 weeks I've lost 30lbs. I keep seeing this lose 1 to 2 lbs per week and no more than 1% of body weight. The first time I stepped on the scale was 288 and I had been watching what I ate a few weeks previous to weighing myself so I can't contribute it to water weight.

I'm eating well not counting calories just being careful of portion sizes and what I actually consume trying to make sure it grew swam or ran shortly before I consumed it. I'm trying hard to get 3 meals and a couple snacks in every day but most of the time after my workout I have little desire for a breakfast.

I'm working out 5 to 7 times a week both strength training and running about 30 minutes each alternating days.

I feel good and have good energy. I am just concerned that taking too much off too quickly will result in a loss of lean mass causing me to have a hard time keeping the weight off. Any insights would be appreciated.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    If you have a LOT of weight to lose then its not as awful to lose so much so fast, as you reduce in size though its not the best idea, you don't want to get your body used to eating so little that it messes up the metabolism. If you don't know how much you are consuming how do you know if you are even eating enough? our bodies need a certain amount just to exist and thats before any exercise is taken into account. That's why its better to eat back some exercise calories as well.

You have energy for now, if you continue to eat at too aggressive a deficit that will no longer be the case. We lose muscle with fat, losing too quickly will mean more muscle loss unfortunately.

Be patient, aim for 2lbs a week, slow and steady really will stand you in good stead.

All the best.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    I loved seeing the quick loss at the beginning. Now I'm working on toning and slower loss at the end of this weight loss journey. Each one of us are on a individual trial and error figuring out what works best for us as individuals. As you get further into this, you will find your diet needs to be changed up, and you will start losing at a slower rate, but if you are seeing a loss, keep doing what is working. Don't starve yourself, and continue to exercise. Congrats on such a great loss so far.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    You're very likely fine. "Water weight" loss can come from several sources - eating less sodium than you were before, reduction in systemic inflammation from your previous WOE, reduced exposure to food allergies or sensitivities, etc. It will slow down, especially if you are not yet counting calories.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Mine was fast starting out(25 pounds in 8 weeks) but as I got closer to a healthy BMI it slowed majorly. For me adding more protein and lifting weights was an amazing change.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    thank you everyone.

I definately don't think I am undercutting my calories and I do tend to eat a bit extra on a day when I work out hard however I have lost and gained weight before by counting calories and cutting them down little by little every few weeks.

I have made several changes I eat mostly meat and vegies andeverything else in moderation. In my previous weight loss attempts I was successful but had cut major food groups out of my diet each time when I added them back I gained back some but not all of the weight I had before.

The only thing I cut out this time has been soda. I have gone to diet in the past and knew that was a bad decision so at the beginning of this journey I was limiting myself to a single can per day. then I started missing days Now roughly 3 months into my total journey its been a couple weeks since I have had one. I've noticed that fruits taste sweeter and I was also able to remove sweetener from my coffee other than the sugar thats in creamer. I also think without the caffeen load I've gone down a cup per day of coffee consumption.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    For me personally, being in an agressive deficit and losing weight quickly works for me. This will obviously slow down as time goes on but why not make good progress whilst your motivation is high.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    I have had the same results as you. Started at 290 and have lost 30 pounds in seven weeks. I feel better than I have in a long time. It's exciting! Keep up the good work and keep doing what you're doing...I imagine the rate of loss will slow naturally. Just pay attention to your body.