Question

Options
Why is it I (and probably a whole lot of other people) can never discuss weight loss with someone without them telling you what you're doing wrong and that you're eating the wrong foods? I would love to be able to do this without fear of being judged, but I have yet to meet a truly supportive person, even my BF, who I love dearly.

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My BFF was always there telling me how I should work out and diet. At the same time she was not exercising nor dieting. I finally talked her into a boot camp with me, and NOW that she is on the same diet, and workout plan, she is the one asking questions. I only offer suggestions when asked, and can only tell them what works for me. She on the other hand offered the suggestion that she steps on the scale daily, something I used to only do about every 2 weeks, and Now I also weigh daily. Not all suggestions work for everyone, but I only offer my congrats on those that are losing, and only offer my opinion using the terms, "this is what has worked for me"

Great discussion though.
  • SarahJoyFrost
    SarahJoyFrost Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean, all of my friends and family have been supportive - but its comes with a side order of "look after yourself", "make sure you don't overdo it", "you don't want to get too skinny", "remember to exfoliate"... You what, just because i'm taking up a good diet and exercising doesn't mean I've forgotten how to function as a human... argh
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    because the 'diet industry' is a multi-billion dollar industry for a reason - people are bombarded daily with hundreds of quick-fix solutions (that don't work and often conflict with the next ad that the person sees). with the total information overload that the average person is exposed to, everyone out there is an instant expert in what you 'should' do to lose weight. the bottom line is that the only way to lose weight (and it really is this simple), is to consume fewer calories than you burn in a given time period. nobody wants to hear that it is this simple (and the diet industry REALLY doesn't want you to believe this because MONEY).

as for having the discussion about how to lose weight, I NEVER have this discussion unless the other person asks me for advise and then I will have the CICO discussion and how it has worked for me (50 lbs and counting!).

(eta for spelling)
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    because everyone thinks they know best,

i removed a persn because they kept telling me i need to and would only loose wight if I ate only plant based diet......she recent became a vegan and therefore decided the whole world should be

IM NOT A RABBIT!! I EAT MEAT!! DEAL WITH IT!!
  • cysmithrpn
    cysmithrpn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Im new to this site, but not new to being a fat girl. I love me.....I don't understand why people think that because your fat, you must hate yourself....or your calling out for help and someone to save you. NO NO NO.....I just want support..... Someone to share with, who gets it, who knows the struggle is real and even if I have a bad day, does NOT mean I have failed.....trust me, I get it sista.
    One day at a time
    Trust yourself
    Love yourself
    You got this!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think you've come to the right place, people that friended me are extremely supportive and non judgmental, some ppl are jerks!