Bad binge last night and feel like crap today

Options
So last night I binged I already had eaten 2000 cals and then I binged another 2500 so I probably had like 4000+ calories yesterday

Right now I have no appetite I was thinking maybe later on I'll have some fruit if I get hungry

How do you recover after a bad binge?

I have on my mind to eat 0 calories today to balance it out.

Replies

• ricktrill
    ricktrill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use the 5/2 method, so I personally would just not eat for 24 hours, lift weights in a fasted state the next morning, and then pick the routine back up.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For a healthy person there nothing wrong or unhealthy about fasting for a day for any reason, binge included. Taking laxatives sounds silly and unnecessary. Eat what you want today, whether that be your normal goal, nothing or somewhere between.

Remember how crappy you feel right now the next time you have the urge to binge.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Should I take laxatives so that I have a bowel movement?

No, just make sure to hydrate yourself throughout the day. That will help. Don't force yourself to eat anything, but eat if you feel hungry.
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I would get back to my regular eating habits as soon as possible. You might be a little less hungry the first day but not eating the following day would make it harder for me to get back to my regular habits the day after. For me, it would be dangerous to start a cycle of binging/not eating to even out/binging/...
    as @SezxyStef said, better move forward
    P.S. I don't think laxative is a good idea unless you have a real issue with your bowel movement.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Brush it off and move forward. We all fall off and have a splurge day once in awhile. One of the hardest things I've had to do was accept when it happens and not let it derail my whole plan but if I can you can.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    So last night I binged I already had eaten 2000 cals and then I binged another 2500 so I probably had like 4000+ calories yesterday

Right now I have no appetite I was thinking maybe later on I'll have some fruit if I get hungry

I would just get back on your program and not try to make up for it. Sometimes cutting WAY back to make up causes an increase in cravings later in the day which causes added challenges.

It was one day; it's best IMO to just forge ahead with your program. During a lake house weekend with friends a few weeks back, I had two days like this. I got it back in line and suffered no noticeable scale impact.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Eating zero calories today will set you up for a binge tomorrow. Today listen to your hunger cues and get back to usual plan once you are hungry enough to eat. Do not over exercise or over restrict your food to make up for the binge. And the talk of laxatives is concerning. Just get back on track and remember how crappy you felt today so you don't do it again.
  • efoy89
    efoy89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Dont eat nothing, that's not good for you... Focus on light healthy stuff - salads, fruit etc plus LOADS of water

Trust me its the best thing you can do... if you think you've drank enough water you havent! Go for like 2.5 ltrs min over the course of the day, your body will thank you tomorrow
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Everyone is telling you to move on and I know it's easier said than done. But there's really nothing you can do at this point except eat less today (or less throughout the week). I don't think you should eat zero calories today but going for 1500 for the next couple days could completely cancel out your binge and you still get to eat a good amount of food, or work out more. If you choose to eat like you normally do and just move on, you really won't gain even a pound of actual far from your binge. Don't worry about it, it happens to everyone :smile:
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this OP - the responses helped me too. Thanks all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Usually I'm still hungry the next day so I just eat normally (with my normal deficit). If I'm not hungry though, I just don't eat much.
  • blackaheep4288
    blackaheep4288 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 4 day vacation. I spent the 4 days eating crap that I don't normally eat. I actually doubled my normal calorie intake(usually eat 2k daily, was hitting 3-4k each day). Ya know what I did today? I got back on it eating my normal 2k. A few binge days won't kill you if you get right back on it.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Agreeing with the general sentiments here. I also find if I've overeaten one day, I have more energy to burn off in exercise the next day. So I'll do some extra cardio to help mitigate some of those extra calories.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer--I don't know if this way of thinking will help you, but it makes me feel better if I have a bad day:

Assuming you have your calorie deficit set to 1lb/week, you need to eat 3500 calories over your weekly goal before you start gaining fat. If you went over by 2000 calories in one day and eat at your goal the rest of the week, you're still technically in a deficit and you will still lose.

Like everyone else has said, log it and move on. One day won't ruin your progress.
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    With years of dieting, gaining, dieting, I've finally got it through my thick head. The only answer when you eat off your program, binge, or just eaten too much, is to just "get right back on it". Put it behind you, forgive yourself, and go forward. Guilt and thinking about it will just cause you to eat more and maybe give up all together. It's a hard thing to learn, but practice makes it easier. I try telling myself two things. "I will not be a slave to food" and "Food is not a priority in my life" (friends, family, love, and living etc.are things I want to be priorities in my life.