Blind Date ... Awkward!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You could call but I would text him/her. Exchange photos and if they interest you... meet them for something informal like coffee or lunch.
  • cupboard_stalking
    cupboard_stalking Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Never call a guy like that. Your friend's a weirdo.

Hahaha, i knew this!!!! Now I have proof!!! :()
  • tmi_gang
    tmi_gang Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I had a blind date once. It's not fun having to guide her through the restaurant.

That was a terrible joke. Shut up.
  • JUiCY_KiSS
    JUiCY_KiSS Posts: 8,512 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I split up from a long term relationship about a month or so ago, and my very good friend's advice is "get straight back on the horse!" Now, her version of that is "jump straight back in the sack with whoever" but to be honest that's not my thing, I don't enjoy one night stands, I'm just not made that way, there is nothing wrong with it, it's just does make me feel good.

BUT, she has decided in her opinion that her friend Jason is perfect for me and has sent me his number and told me to call him... and keeps messaging me to call him... all day long "Have you called him yet?" pestering me all day at work...

I do not make a good first impression, I hate small talk and can't make conversation especially if I don't know someone. I'm shy and geeky and self-esteem has always been an issue, it's not going to change! So, you see, cold calling someone is my worst nightmare and God knows what she has told this bloke about me!!!

She won't arrange a social occasion for us to first informally meet, she's just like "call him, what have you got to lose?" ... and yeah, I agree. If the worst happens then I'm not really going to come to any harm. I should call him or I'm going to miss out on an opportunity even if it goes nowhere.

So, i need some help from you lovely people all over the world... what do I do? What do I say when I call him? How do I not die from cringe and get him to go on one date with me. I need some arsenal to get through this!!!!!!!

Emilee xx

If he's interested, he'll ask your friend for permission to obtain your phone number. She, in turn, if she has any discretion or courtesy, will call you - get your permission - and if it's granted, give your number to Jason. Then he'll call you and introduce himself, and you can discern what his intentions are from the tone of the conversation. From the way you describe your friend though, I'd think twice about allowing her to set you up on dates. You two aren't on the same page - which you should be thankful for, by the way.

I agree

• LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I think I would still be too shy to call someone new and I am no even close to being introverted.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Since it seems you are not interested in something super casual, I wouldn't feel that risks outweighed reward here. You're most likely going to be rebounding from your ex (which is 100% fine but rebounds are more likely to get messy if you aren't on the same page) and if it gets messy then you have to deal with the awkwardness of mutual friends and prying questions.

If you want to start meeting new people and getting back out there for sure do it, but I'd avoid blind dates.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What is this "calling" you speak of?.. The way this works is that you give your friend permission to give him YOUR number, then HE texts YOU. This whole "You should call him" business is nonsense.

Now that that's out of the way. . Can I get your friend's number?
  • jbconnelly
    jbconnelly Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    After reading through this, I can't tell if this is a "too shy to call" issue or "women shouldn't reach out to men first" issue?

For the latter, that way of thinking is way outdated. We are all adults here, it doesn't matter who calls who. If you have the number just call and see if they want to get a drink. The worst thing he says is "no."

For the former, dating is all about getting out of your comfort zone. You'd be amazed how you feel after doing something you wouldn't normally do. Give him a call and just have fun!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd be so turned off by your friend's nagging that I wouldn't call out of spite.