Rejoining after regaining

Options
lamby284
lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
I found it therapeutic to rant so here goes...
I'm 22 and a recent college grad. I lost 40 lbs using MFP over many months going from 168 to 125, but have gained 15 lbs of it back. I am edging closer to an overweight BMI and I really don't want to be overweight again considering all the work I've put into myself over the last year and a half. I really like lifting weights and I have taught myself how to eat healthfully on a calorie budget. But to be honest, I've been eating my feelings for a few months now and I can't deny it any longer. I've been avoiding facing the reality that most days I am eating 2300+ calories. That is a LOT for a 5'4 girl. As you might know, gaining weight when depressed creates a downward spiral: feel bad, eat, feel worse about self from weight gain, eat even more, repeat. And I need to stop the cycle! I can't fit into some of my clothes anymore, other clothes are getting pretty tight, I'm self conscious around my boyfriend, and I'm overall uncomfortable every. single. day. I don't even like looking at myself in the mirror at this point- how could I do this to myself?. But I know I have it in me to lose this 15 and I know I will feel better mentally once I start the process. Which is right now.

Replies

• Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.
  • ErvinaLoses
    ErvinaLoses Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Omg! I felt like your rant was plucked directly from my own thoughts lol. I have made the decision to stop my own vicious cycle today. You can add me if you'd like. Good luck!
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same! Lost 40, 15 back. This is so much like how I feel. I wish you good luck! Add me if you want!
  • lukeinmexico
    lukeinmexico Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've done the same thing, except I put on 25 pounds. I'm back at it starting today. Thanks for the post, and feel free to add me (including anyone else who will be supportive).
  • princess7955
    princess7955 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post. I lost 30 and gained 10. It is a constant struggle. Sometimes I worry that I will have to count calories for the rest of my life! And I know the "cycle" all too well. I've started back this week, so far so good...so feel free to add me. Stay strong...we can do this!
  • whatever_46
    whatever_46 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be so hard on yourself! You have been feeling depressed and yes, sometimes depression causes us to eat more than usual, most of us are guilty of this, but you also beating yourself up over the weight gain isn't going to help your depression. You need to have a healthy mindset to obtain a healthy body. Try not to think on the weight you gained back, but instead try to think of the goal at hand. You didn't do anything wrong and you shouldn't punish yourself for gaining some weight. What is important is that you realized where you went wrong and are trying to correct it. No one ever learned from getting it "right" all the time. As far as you boyfriend goes, please try not to feel so insecure around him, I'm not him but I can pretty much guarantee you that he doesn't see you as anything less than absolute beauty. Good luck with your weight loss goal though! We are all rooting for you. You got this!! :)
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You got this! Do it for a week and you'll be well on your way to switching mindsets. The problem is that some of us have two patterns inside of us ...the eater pattern and the healthy person pattern. It takes a bit to switch from one pattern to the other. Just give it a week. You can do it!