How many calories am I burning

Options
I know we can't trust mfp's database of calories burned through exercise. So how do you guess? I have a heart rate monitor but I've been told those aren't very precise either. So far, I've been taking the mfp number of calories burned and dividing it in half. I may be underestimating calories burned...

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I lost just fine using MFP estimates. Some entries are better than others. This blog explains it well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak?month=201201

In the end, nothing outside of a lab is exact but you don't need to be exact. Consistency is what matters. Pick a method, monitor it for 4-6 weeks and readjust if necessary.

If you are truly under estimating, your weight loss will be faster and you adjust you estimates upward and vice versa. Or if your performance is suffering, adjust.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I follow the TDEE method so I don't have to worry about inaccurate exercise calories.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Either way, I only ever ate back at most 75% of calories burned, and even then it was only if I was still hungry after my deficit. Personally, I feel like the HRM gives me a better idea than MFP, but that could just be me telling myself it was worth the price.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I let fitbit do my adjustment for me. I have an HR model and find mine pretty damn accurate, despite what everyone says. When I don't eat back at least 75% of my fitbit adjustment, I lose more quickly than I want.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit adjustment now, too. Before I got one, I used a heart rate monitor, but rather than using the total calorie burn, I used ShapeSense.com to calculate an estimate based on my average heart rate.