Is it more practical to lose 1 pound per week?

Options
I'm 5 8, and if I want to lose 2 pounds per week I have to eat 1200 cals.. If I want to lose 1 pound per week, I can eat about 1700. I'm just so impatient, but I feel like im starving if I only eat 1200 a day. I'm an emotional eater, and I also eat when I'm bored.. What do you guys think??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you feel better at a pound a week, go for it. Especially if you have less than 50 pounds to lose.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?

The less you have to lose, the harder it will be to hit 2 lbs a week.

Also keep in mind that severe calorie deficits, like one needed for someone with a little weight to lose trying to lose 2lbs a week would require, often have other consequences like losing more muscle mass. It can also make it harder to stick to the diet.
    You don't mention if you are active, that is another consideration.

My opinion has always been aim for a reasonable deficit and eat as much as you can while still losing weight and trying to maintain as much muscle mass as possible.
    Pushing weight loss might take less time but if you crash and burn, it might end up taking longer in the long run.

ETA - I read this the opposite way, that you wanted to up weight loss goal to 2lbs a week.
    In that case, my answer is yes, it is likely more practical. Especially if you find 1200 hard. But all of the above still applies.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem lol, wanting to eat more but being impatient. How many calories can you eat to lose 1.5 pounds a week?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I stuck to 1 lb a week the whole time. Lost a bit more at times though!
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If you feel deprived eating only 1200 calories then it might benefit you to go at a slower pace eating 1700 calories.

You have to be patient with weight loss. I know you may want it right now, but putting the time and effort in will be worth it in the end.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    I have the same exact problem lol, wanting to eat more but being impatient. How many calories can you eat to lose 1.5 pounds a week?

If 2lbs a week puts her at 1200 , that's a calorie deficit of 1000. 1lb a week puts her at 1700, with a deficit of 500.
    1.5 lbs a week would be a deficit of 750, so she would be at 1450 for 1.5 lbs a week.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

1lb = 500 calories. So it would be 1250. MFP bottoms out at 1200 so she wouldn't be losing 2lbs per week anyway.

I've only ever set my goal to 1lb. For a variety of reasons, sustainability (I have never found this hard), aesthetics (losing a higher proportion of fat to muscle when combined with strength training) and overall aesthetics (I started at 220lbs, I wanted to minimise risk of loose skin, so far so good but it's genetics too).

And at 5'8 1200 is actually far too low and you'd feel like crap pretty quickly I'd imagine. Adjust your expectations and eat more.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

1lb = 500 calories. So it would be 1250. MFP bottoms out at 1200 so she wouldn't be losing 2lbs per week anyway.

I've only ever set my goal to 1lb. For a variety of reasons, sustainability (I have never found this hard), aesthetics (losing a higher proportion of fat to muscle when combined with strength training) and overall aesthetics (I started at 220lbs, I wanted to minimise risk of loose skin, so far so good but it's genetics too).

And at 5'8 1200 is actually far too low and you'd feel like crap pretty quickly I'd imagine. Adjust your expectations and eat more.

Did I math wrong? LOL.
    For 1lb a week she would get 1700. So 500 less than that, for 2lbs a week would be 1200. So 1.5lbs would be 1450 wouldn't it?

(I am not being snarky, I'm really trying to figure out if I am looking at this wrong)
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'd sim for a midpoint and try to keep active.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.
    For 1lb a week she would get 1700. So 500 less than that, for 2lbs a week would be 1200. So 1.5lbs would be 1450 wouldn't it?

(I am not being snarky, I'm really trying to figure out if I am looking at this wrong)

Yes, 1450. Which is what I'd do.
  • st476
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.

I get your math. I just know that when I first started I got 1200 for 2 pounds a week and 1240 for 1.5 pounds a week so that would make sense too.

OP, you should definitely go for 1 pound a week if you don't get 1450 for 1.5 pounds a week. 2 pounds a week won't be beneficial if you can't stick with it.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Goal for 1 lb/wk. Eat that. Exercise for another lb per week. Don't eat that.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.

I get your math. I just know that when I first started I got 1200 for 2 pounds a week and 1240 for 1.5 pounds a week so that would make sense too.

OP, you should definitely go for 1 pound a week if you don't get 1450 for 1.5 pounds a week. 2 pounds a week won't be beneficial if you can't stick with it.

No, you're just burning less than the op and you bottomed out at 1250 for a pound and a half. This person said at the top that she was 1700 to lose a pound, so 1450 for 1.5
  • st476
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.

No, you're just burning less than the op and you bottomed out at 1250 for a pound and a half. This person said at the top that she was 1700 to lose a pound, so 1450 for 1.5
    Completely forgot about that, you're right :smile:
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.

No you're right. I mathed wrong. This is why I shouldn't math.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.

I swear, I took honours math in high school but my math skills are extremely questionable now.
    Do you know how many times I've calculated my turn around distance for a run and got it wrong? I always question my math.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If 1200 is too difficult, than switch to 1700 and go from there. You can always create an additional deficit by exercising a bit here or there and losing a bit more while still feeling satiated.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.

I swear, I took honours math in high school but my math skills are extremely questionable now.
    Do you know how many times I've calculated my turn around distance for a run and got it wrong? I always question my math.

I have this weird mix up in my head with 1500 and 1700. I don't know why but they are interchangeable and really mess with me, I have to count up from 15 to 17 to make it clear in my head. It's the weirdest thing! Just those two numbers, mostly everything else I am good with (even if I have never actively enjoyed maths as we call it in the UK).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.

But the OP isn't you, and the OP said that she can eat 1700 calories for 1 lb loss a week (although OP doesn't say where she got the 1700 number -- I was assuming either from MFP or from her own empirical data).
  • st476
    Options

Did I math wrong? LOL.

But the OP isn't you, and the OP said that she can eat 1700 calories for 1 lb loss a week (although OP doesn't say where she got the 1700 number -- I was assuming either from MFP or from her own empirical data).
    Lol I'm pretty sure we already got that covered. Thanks though, I didn't know OP wasn't me :)