App suggested calories?

Options
Was just wondering if anyone can clarify how the app come up with the recommended calories? I only ask because I just started using this again, and I saw a dietician 2 weeks ago. According to this app, it suggests to me only a little over 1300 calories. Recommended by the dietician was 1700-1800 a day..

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    Are you intending to exercise at all? If so, realize this app does not include intended exercise calories in the equation to calculate your calorie goal, that is why it expects users to eat back the calories they burn from exercise. If you dietitian included your intended exercise activity, then that would explain the difference more than likely.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MiirandaC wrote: »
    Was just wondering if anyone can clarify how the app come up with the recommended calories? I only ask because I just started using this again, and I saw a dietician 2 weeks ago. According to this app, it suggests to me only a little over 1300 calories. Recommended by the dietician was 1700-1800 a day..

The app figures your BMR (what your body needs to survive all day long with no other activity), takes that number and muliplies it by an activity modify depending on how active you choose. It should be noted that this activity level does NOT include exericse, only daily life.

Then it takes that number and subtracts your weight loss goal. So if you chose 1 lb a week, it is -500. 2lbs a week is -1000.

So this app expects you to log your exercise and eat those calories back.

So if your BMR, plus daily activity is 2000 and you chose 1 lb a week weight loss your goal would be 1500.
    iF you exercise and burn 300 calories, you log that, and it would be added to your daily goal. So you would eat 1800 on that day. If you don't exercise you eat 1500.

Your dietician likely used a TDEE calculator which figures ALL your calorie needs per day, including exercise. So you eat the same calorie goal every day.

If done correctly both method end up averaging the same calories per week.

Also keep in mind that many used TDEE - 20% which is equal to about 1 lb a week when you are at a 2000 calorie goal.
    So you can't compare TDEE - 20% to MFP at a 2lb a week weight loss goal.