Low-calorie aeroplane snacks?

Options
Jeyradan
Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
Help! I'm on a 10+ hour flight tomorrow, and the airline apparently only provides a sandwich and possibly a small snack during that time (no in-flight meal and additional snacks cost extra... at ridiculous prices, of course).

What low-calorie snacks do you suggest packing to take with me? I'm on a very low calorie budget per day, which I know I'm going to have to break to get through the day (especially as it'll be extended by eight hours of time difference), but I'd like to be as healthy as I can nonetheless.

(Side note: I'm in the UK, so most of the cool pre-packaged products available in the US aren't in shops here.)

Replies

• tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I take long flights a few times a year. I always bring tons of cut up fruit and veggies as well as sandwiches. Truth is, I don't really have so much time to snack because I'm usually preoccupied with taking care of my kids. If I was just sitting for 10 hours doing nothing, I'd probably just eat the whole time lol. Good luck!
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I fly back and forth to work every 30 days. I have one 10 hour flight and two 3 hour flights each way. If you are really worried about overeating, have a nice wholesome healthy meal right before you get on the plane (most airports around the world have something that can accommodate) and then as the poster above said take a container of fruit and veggies. I personally would also include a protein bar.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    I always bring tons of cut up fruit and veggies as well as sandwiches. Good luck!

Thank you! I'll have to try to get some fruits and vegetables that are travel-hardy. It's partly about boredom (no kids, so I'll be sitting doing nothing - and the flight doesn't even offer entertainment! I'll bring a book, but that only works for so long), but also partly because the flight is scheduled at an inconvenient time (lunch beforehand would be very early; landing time is smack in between lunch and dinner) and I'll need some kind of food to keep me going.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    50extra wrote: »
    If you are really worried about overeating, have a nice wholesome healthy meal right before you get on the plane (most airports around the world have something that can accommodate) and then as the poster above said take a container of fruit and veggies. I personally would also include a protein bar.

I guess I could balance a minimal breakfast when I wake up with a big lunch right before I board (sort of a "brunch" arrangement, as boarding will probably take place mid-morning), plus snacks on the plane. Thanks for the tip!
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Not low calorie but healthy, but what about nuts? I often snack on mixed fruit and nuts in my work day (usually 40g portion) and they keep my satisfied. Morrisons do a big cranberry and nuts selection which is good and can be portioned out.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    Wophie wrote: »
    Not low calorie but healthy, but what about nuts? I often snack on mixed fruit and nuts in my work day (usually 40g portion) and they keep my satisfied. Morrisons do a big cranberry and nuts selection which is good and can be portioned out.

I love nuts! Unfortunately, it's quite difficult to find room for them in my calorie budget most days, but I'll take a look at some of those packaged "shots" that come in at under 100 calories. Good thought; thank you!
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    If you like pistachios, you get like 27 of them for 100 cals
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    50extra wrote: »
    If you like pistachios, you get like 27 of them for 100 cals

A worthy expenditure of calories!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Jeyradan wrote: »
    I always bring tons of cut up fruit and veggies as well as sandwiches. Good luck!

Thank you! I'll have to try to get some fruits and vegetables that are travel-hardy. It's partly about boredom (no kids, so I'll be sitting doing nothing - and the flight doesn't even offer entertainment! I'll bring a book, but that only works for so long), but also partly because the flight is scheduled at an inconvenient time (lunch beforehand would be very early; landing time is smack in between lunch and dinner) and I'll need some kind of food to keep me going.
    10 hours no meal or entertainment?! That sounds like really crappy time. My condolences.

• Konigboy
    Konigboy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds in the shell or pistachios so it takes work to get to the nut, which means you just don't slam it down. Lol. I use sunflower seeds when driving late at night to keep me alert.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I think a sandwich and small snack should be fine for a flight of that length - it's not as if you're active and will need to fuel yourself adequately.

If it were me, I'd just eat a filling breakfast and pack a protein bar. It's way too easy to overdo food on flights because of boredom and because you can't taste properly, so I try to eat very light if I'm travelling by air and I feel way better for it when I land.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    Konigboy wrote: »
    Sunflower seeds in the shell or pistachios so it takes work to get to the nut, which means you just don't slam it down. Lol. I use sunflower seeds when driving late at night to keep me alert.

I used to love sunflower seeds as a kid, but haven't had any in years. I'll go looking for things in shells, though; the little fiddly work will keep my hands occupied, too.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    FWIW, I think a sandwich and small snack should be fine for a flight of that length - it's not as if you're active and will need to fuel yourself adequately.

This is a good point. I think I'll have to take some things along with me just because the timing of the flight is so awkward (I'll need to be functional and professional for about 26 hours straight, including for a good chunk of time after landing before I can get a meal, and not fuelling at all would probably have an impact on that), but you're right that I shouldn't exactly need to load up. Thanks for the reality check!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    My long-flight meal plan: Double bourbon before the flight, and a Benadryl when I get on board.

I might also take along a protein bar in case I wake up.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I thought you could only bring stuff you purchased in the terminal, beyond security?

Nevermind. I see there's a pretty long list. This has always just been our fail safe approach.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP, simply pack some small zip lock baggies of your go to favorites that will fit in the carry on.. Or go buy a snack you like that are packaged ready to packs (nuts, seeds, crackers, string cheese, trail mix, popcorn, etc)

Eat a well balanced meal with healthy fats and lots of protein before you get on the plane and you probably won't need a whole lot, you will be sitting down unless you are an isle walker.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    My long-flight meal plan: Double bourbon before the flight, and a Benadryl when I get on board.

I might also take along a protein bar in case I wake up.

Ha! Fair enough. Not a big drinker or a nervous flyer, though, so I think I'll forego this one.
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    I thought you could only bring stuff you purchased in the terminal, beyond security?

Nevermind. I see there's a pretty long list. This has always just been our fail safe approach.

You can bring anything you like, as long as it isn't a liquid or gel over 100 mL. There's some stuff you can't take off the plane at the other end (or have to declare), depending on where you're going and what the customs regulations are, but you can certainly take snacks from home on your flights!
  • Jeyradan
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP, simply pack some small zip lock baggies of your go to favorites that will fit in the carry on.. Or go buy a snack you like that are packaged ready to packs (nuts, seeds, crackers, string cheese, trail mix, popcorn, etc)

Eat a well balanced meal with healthy fats and lots of protein before you get on the plane and you probably won't need a whole lot, you will be sitting down unless you are an isle walker.

Thanks! I've picked up a few snacks in single-serving packs that should do me well, and I can take the rest with me for use during the trip. I would like to be an aisle walker for fitness purposes, but I feel like that would probably annoy the rest of the passengers...
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Apples, baby carrots, nuts