Bride to be looking for a kick up the butt (and community)

Options
Kingofthesquirrels
Kingofthesquirrels Posts: 104 Member
edited July 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Heya guys I'm new on here. Am looking to lose a bit of weight in preparation for my wedding in 2 years time (yay) as well as breaking the habits of a lifetime. Any help and guidance or general fun would be appreciated, I am nice honest!!

Replies

• beskytter
    beskytter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Follow the good diary and don't "hide" any thing from it
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    wow you have two years...don't waste it! Mine's in two weeks!
  • Kingofthesquirrels
    Options

Awesome, hope it goes well, we just booked our venue :smiley:
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your engagement! You came to the right place, and it is seriously awesome that you are giving yourself two whole years to do this in. I'm not sure how fit you are now, or how much you have to lose, but you can change your whole body and daily routine within those two years. Since you're going for some permanent lifestyle changes, I say start small. For example, the first month, switch out one bad habit for a good one. When I started my weight loss journey over 2 years ago, I was SO out of shape.The first bad habit I decided to switch out was my bad sleep habits. I would go to bed somewhere between midnight and 3am. Pretty crappy since I had to be up the next morning to see my kids off to school. So my life change started there. I forced myself to be in bed every night by 10pm. After a few weeks of that, I felt generally better so I started adding 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. The workouts were pretty basic, and on the easy side, but for me it was all I could handle. One month later I had dropped a few pounds and was physically able to do so much more than I had before. My diet changes came after that. Anyways, you get the idea. All I'm saying is, that some people are really good with change and like to jump all into a program, and do well with it. I knew myself well enough to know that I too was good at those quick starts...but they never lasted. So in order to make changes that I knew would stick...I did it in steps.

Maybe you could tell us more about yourself? What are your current fitness goals? Do you currently work out, how much do you plan to lose? Are you into any sports or physical activities?
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options

Where is it? If you don't mind my asking?
    I love squirrels too.
  • Kingofthesquirrels
    Options
    143tobe wrote: »

Maybe you could tell us more about yourself? What are your current fitness goals? Do you currently work out, how much do you plan to lose? Are you into any sports or physical activities?

Thanks for the advice :smiley: am hoping to lose quite a bit, around 4 stone as I have really let my weight spiral away from me. When I was Uni I was about 12/13 stone so I want to get back to that and a bit lower. I am trying to incorporate more walking into my day to day routine, so have started walking home from work which takes about 30 mins. I am also looking at doing some home workouts although that will take a lot of self-motivation which seems to go out of the window when I get home! I used to love tennis and badminton so am hoping to get back into that, as well as doing some of the fun runs in my local area. As you say I am going to take it one step at a time and hopefully get there.

• Kingofthesquirrels
    Options

Where is it? If you don't mind my asking?
    I love squirrels too.

Its a hotel in Derby, its right by the station. We are having an October wedding so we wanted somewhere that was based inside (knowing the wonderful English weather!)

Squirrels are awesome! I'm afraid I'm a bit of a geek and it's also a reference to my fav youtuber who is a big source of inspiration to me.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Ok, good to know more about you! First, I would say go ahead and get a heart rate monitor watch or fitbit type tracker that will be able to tell you how many calories you are actually burning when you workout. (If you don't already have one.) I don't know if you started logging your food and workouts here yet, but the watches really help. (I like new toys, and getting a new one kind of motivated me to actually use it.) My watch also really helps with walking. I now know that regular walking no longer burns calories for me. If I want my walking to actually burn calories, I have to be either walking very fast, on an incline, or alternating it with a little bit of running.

About home workouts. Get up half an hour earlier and do them in the morning. I cannot do anything after a long day. If I don't get my workout done first thing in the morning...it just ain't gettin done. And then I'm cranky.

Tennis and Badminton! Yes!! Perfect! Find a friend, or partner who is around the same ability as you and just start playing again. Or sign up for a class just to get back into it. The secret to my sucess this past year was rekindling my like of running. Now I love it, and am so obsessed with it, I am now losing weight...JUST so I can get faster (Ok, not really, but that's how I think these days). Now when I strength train, I'm like...wow...that made my run so much more powerful. All I'm saying here is, when you rekindle the joy that you once had playing a sport, or doing an activity...it just makes the weight loss journey actually enjoyable. :smiley:

And you will get there!! Just start...and then refuse to give up. Even when you have a setback...and you probably will...just get back on the path where you left off, and keep going!
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I added you! I've been on here for years but just really started getting super active gearing up to get my butt in a dress for my twin brothers wedding in September :blush:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Let's see - 4 stone is about 50-60 lbs - 1 lb a week will get you there in a year, plenty of time to have fittings before your wedding a year later, even enough time for your skin to adjust. Perfect! Maybe do some StrongLifts and get your bum and legs and tummy all firm for your nice dress. Keep us posted with pictures and such, this is going to be a fun thread!
  • Kingofthesquirrels
    Options
    Thanks for all the lovely comments guys :smiley: it's really nice to be getting support xx