Gained this week :(

Options
I lost 2.4 the first week and gained 1.2 this week. I've been doing the same things I did last week with the exception of one day of weights, after a long hiatus. Should I hold off on weight training until I build my confidence with solid weight losses each week? I'd love all the encouragement I can get. :(

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Keep doing the weight training. While it will have affected the scale reading, its temporary.
    Keep up the good work and you'll soon get rewarded by that darned scale :smile:
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Definitely Keep the weight training. Why not weigh yourself every couple of weeks, take pictures and measurement and go by clothes fit instead of the number on the scale? It is just a number afterall and honestly a couple of lbs different could be caused by anything really, especially for a woman.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    You are not going to get "solid" weight loss readings each week. Some weeks you will lose, gain, or stay the same. That's just how it works. So the quicker you understand your body's fluctuations, the easier it will be not to be discouraged.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It goes up and down and stays the same for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with fat loss stopping. One week with weight going up, especially when you started lifting (a change in your exercise) is not unusual. It is very likely a little water retention. You could have the same thing from cardio if you increased the intensity or changed the type of cardio you did. Don't stop lifting. Just give it time, and drink sufficient water.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It goes up and down and stays the same for a whole host of reasons that have nothing to do with fat loss stopping. One week with weight going up, especially when you started lifting (a change in your exercise) is not unusual. It is very likely a little water retention. You could have the same thing from cardio if you increased the intensity or changed the type of cardio you did. Don't stop lifting. Just give it time, and drink sufficient water.

Exactly this.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight consistently over the last eight months, but if you look at my weight trend, you'll see that it goes up as often as it goes down, and that I've gone for a few weeks here and there gaining weight, while somehow still losing weight overall. I certainly haven't lost each and every week at all.fdi5c8ib1ba1.jpeg
  • katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is excellent. Thank you, mlinci!!
    Logically I know this is how it works, but I can't help to want to see a loss at least the first few weeks.
  • Megarachnid
    Megarachnid Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this too. Don't stop lifting. My weight fluctuates like crazy but I've lost almost 50 lbs in the last 2 years, slow but steady. Don't give up!