Sugar "Goal"

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I don't track sugar at all. It doesn't impact your weight loss, in the end it's about the calorie intake. Unless you have a medical condition and NEED to track your sugar intake, I don't see why you'd bother. I always go over my sugar because I eat a lot of fruits so I don't bother looking at it anymore.

Bolded is poppycock. Don't believe it... Added sugar (not what's in fruit) will impact your weight loss. And your health.

Ironic poppycock.

Only calories impact weight loss. Whether or not those calories come from added sugar (or intrinsic sugar, since they're the same substance) does not matter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I don't track sugar at all. It doesn't impact your weight loss, in the end it's about the calorie intake. Unless you have a medical condition and NEED to track your sugar intake, I don't see why you'd bother. I always go over my sugar because I eat a lot of fruits so I don't bother looking at it anymore.

Bolded is poppycock. Don't believe it... Added sugar (not what's in fruit) will impact your weight loss. And your health.
    To clarify, you are saying, "Added sugar will impact weight loss even in an energy deficit?"

What's an energy deficit? I get all the energy I need without sugar.

It's my opinion. I have no evidence other than personal experience and maybe it's unique to me. I think sugar messes with weight loss. I think it's disingenuous to tell someone who is trying to lose weight not to worry about sugar, only look at calories. If CICO was all that mattered, losing weight would be super easy. It's very easy to get a caloric deficit of 1000 calories a day with a little exercise and proper dieting. But few people would say it's "easy." There are a thousand threads on here of people claiming to be in a caloric deficit and not losing anything. Maybe they aren't tracking properly or maybe there is more to weight loss than just CICO. Should you cut out all sugar and never have anything sweet? That's not what I'm saying. Should you limit the amount of sugar you intake if you're trying to lose weight? Absolutely...

please explain how you can lose weight without being in a calorie deficit?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options

To clarify, you are saying, "Added sugar will impact weight loss even in an energy deficit?"

It's my opinion. I have no evidence other than personal experience and maybe it's unique to me. I think sugar messes with weight loss. I think it's disingenuous to tell someone who is trying to lose weight not to worry about sugar, only look at calories. If CICO was all that mattered, losing weight would be super easy. It's very easy to get a caloric deficit of 1000 calories a day with a little exercise and proper dieting. But few people would say it's "easy." There are a thousand threads on here of people claiming to be in a caloric deficit and not losing anything. Maybe they aren't tracking properly or maybe there is more to weight loss than just CICO. Should you cut out all sugar and never have anything sweet? That's not what I'm saying. Should you limit the amount of sugar you intake if you're trying to lose weight? Absolutely...

The bold is the problem. Studies have shown that we under report calories in and over report calories out. On top of that, they are basing this off calculations which might night address their actually TDEE/maintenance calories.

In the thousands of threads I have helped people with on "pleateaus" a few things were common. The didn't use a food scale for accuracy and they weren't consistently tracking calories and they were over reporting their excericse calories.

But you can be certain, if a person could sustain a 1000 calorie diet, they will lose weight
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

glycogen depletion ;)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

glycogen depletion ;)

which we all know is only water weight..

but I can revise the question to fat loss if need be...
  • Carlos_421
    Options

It doesn't impact weight loss. If it did, the twinkie diet guy wouldn't lost a ton of weight and improved all his health markers. The only thing it might effect is things like satiety or control over calories. This doesn't mean you should mainline sugar like cocaine, but it doesn't mean it can't be a part of a wholesome diet.

Do you think refined sugar is good for you...that it's a healthy substance?

It's healthy in that it's not unhealthy.

This is in contrast to smoking which is unhealthy.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Well that answers my question...
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    People are going to believe what they want to believe. If you eat less calories than you burn, you'll lose weight regardless of what's in those calories. That's the company line on this site and the standard answer. I personally think there's more to it than that. I could very well be wrong (and people will stand in line to tell me I am). If you're able to lose weight eating whatever the hell you want and not exercising, as long as you're at a deficit, then great. Some people can do that. But there are also many who can't, or who at least claim to being at a deficit and unable to lose...
  • kendahlj
    Options

This isn't what I said at all...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I will add that there is a small portion of the population genetically at risk for certain chronic diseases like cancer and diabetes for whom being active and maintaining a healthy bodyweight is not necessarily enough. In these cases, diet becomes more of a factor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Can anybody explain to me how MFP calculates it's sugar goal?

Sugar intake is most concerning to me in my weight loss, so I'm wondering what the recommended intake amount is, and why? Is MFP pretty accurate with that? What do you guys do?

2. What is MFP's sugar target ?

The value is set at 15% of your daily calories from all the sugars in your foods. If your calorie goal is 2000 cals the sugar part is 300 cals or 75 grams per day. See http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

From: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1

^The above post is included in the stickied "Most Helpful Posts"(must reads) on the Food and Nutrition board if you ever need to find it again. There's a lot of good stuff in the stickies.

Nice...

The lower your calorie target is, the lower your sugar target is...which makes total sense
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I will add that there is a small portion of the population genetically at risk for certain chronic diseases like cancer and diabetes for whom being active and maintaining a healthy bodyweight is not necessarily enough. In these cases, diet becomes more of a factor.

Ah majoring in the minor is never too far off...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    People are going to believe what they want to believe. If you eat less calories than you burn, you'll lose weight regardless of what's in those calories. That's the company line on this site and the standard answer. I personally think there's more to it than that. I could very well be wrong (and people will stand in line to tell me I am). If you're able to lose weight eating whatever the hell you want and not exercising, as long as you're at a deficit, then great. Some people can do that. But there are also many who can't, or who at least claim to being at a deficit and unable to lose...

Indeed they are. Sadly, you can't fight faith with facts...
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

I think Bolded is poppycock. I Don't believe it... I think Added sugar (not what's in fruit) will impact your weight loss. And your health.

You are entitled to your opinion. Oh and I fixed it for you :wink:
  • Carlos_421
    Options

1) What's an energy deficit? I get all the energy I need without sugar.

It's my opinion. I have no evidence other than personal experience and maybe it's unique to me. 2) I think sugar messes with weight loss. 3) I think it's disingenuous to tell someone who is trying to lose weight not to worry about sugar, only look at calories. 4) If CICO was all that mattered, losing weight would be super easy. 5) It's very easy to get a caloric deficit of 1000 calories a day with a little exercise and proper dieting. But few people would say it's "easy." There are a thousand threads on here of people claiming to be in a caloric deficit and not losing anything. 6) Maybe they aren't tracking properly or 7) maybe there is more to weight loss than just CICO. Should you cut out all sugar and never have anything sweet? That's not what I'm saying. 8) Should you limit the amount of sugar you intake if you're trying to lose weight? Absolutely...

1) energy deficit = calorie deficit
    2) It doesn't if a deficit is maintained.
    3) No, it's simply factual and honest.
    4) For weight loss, CICO really is the only thing that matters. That's a scientific fact that your personal opinion cannot negate.
    5) Bologna. Pure Bologna. Sure, a deficit of 1,000 calories per day is doable but it is absolutely not easy. That's hard work, dedication and willpower right there. 500 calories per day is much more manageable and I wouldn't even say that's easy. Seriously. Bologna.
    6) 9 times out of 10, that turns out to be the case.
    7) That's never turned out to be the case.
    8) You still have no evidence for this claim and it still doesn't stand up to reason.

If you burn more calories than you consume, your body burns stored energy for fuel (fat loss). Eating sugar cannot stop that from happening because if your body does not burn fuel, you die (a beating heart uses calories).
  • Carlos_421
    Options

glycogen depletion ;)

And #2
  • Carlos_421
    Options

And the bold is so clearly demonstrated by your rejection of facts to cling to the beliefs you express in the remainder of the post.
  • kendahlj
    Options
    I agree with this article:

https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth

I don't agree that CICO is "completely wrong," but I think it is an oversimplification. I think it's very challenging to have a successful and healthy weight loss plan that includes lots of added sugar. Ultimately, that was my point.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    If CICO was all that mattered, losing weight would be super easy.
    It's simple, however, anything but easy...
    There are a thousand threads on here of people claiming to be in a caloric deficit and not losing anything. Maybe they aren't tracking properly or maybe there is more to weight loss than just CICO.
    More often then not they aren't tracking properly...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I agree with this article:

https://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth

I don't agree that CICO is "completely wrong," but I think it is an oversimplification. I think it's very challenging to have a successful and healthy weight loss plan that includes lots of added sugar. Ultimately, that was my point.

Again, what's the dose for the added sugar?

CICO is an energy equation, nothing more nothing less. The problem is most people confuse CICO with counting calories and or low calorie dieting...