Fiber! Why Are You So Illusive?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You can have some of mine. Sometimes I'm at like 70g. Too much.
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 85 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I eat fiber vitamin gummies to help with my fiber intake. They are delicious and really help me feel more full. I eat the Vitafusion Fiberwell Fit gummies in the morning with breakfast (They include a few vitamins) and then the plain Vitafusion Fiberwell gummies (without the vitamins) with dinner. One serving of the Fiberwell Fit is 2 gummies and contain a total of 10 calories, are sugar free and 5 grams of soluble fiber.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I eat fiber vitamin gummies to help with my fiber intake. They are delicious and really help me feel more full. I eat the Vitafusion Fiberwell Fit gummies in the morning with breakfast (They include a few vitamins) and then the plain Vitafusion Fiberwell gummies (without the vitamins) with dinner. One serving of the Fiberwell Fit is 2 gummies and contain a total of 10 calories and 5 grams of fiber.

i used to take those too
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Fiber One products are good for getting in extra fiber. I'm a huge fan of the oatmeal raisin cookie. Delicious, but I don't remember how much fiber is in it. I also eat Dannon Triple Zero greek yogurt. Each container (150g) has 6g of fiber. I eat two of those a day and I'm already halfway there. I also eat cereal every morning for breakfast.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I get all my fiber for the day (1200 calorie diet) by eating 44 grams of Fiber One Original cereal (not the Honey Clusters one). It's only 88 calories, and I mix it into my Chobani greek yogurts, so I get some protein too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I get all my fiber for the day (1200 calorie diet) by eating 44 grams of Fiber One Original cereal (not the Honey Clusters one). It's only 88 calories, and I mix it into my Chobani greek yogurts, so I get some protein too.

Fiber one in greek yogurt is like...macro/volume A+
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Here are my favorite sources that aren't veggies (that's been covered nicely elsewhere in this thread).

Nature's Path Flax Plus Raisin Bran (8g fiber / 190 cal)
    The only raisin bran I've ever had where the flakes stay crispy in milk!
    http://us.naturespath.com/product/flax-plusr-raisin-bran

Nature's Path Flax Plus Multibran Flakes (5g fiber / 110 cal)
    Great for breakfast or as a low calorie snack in the afternoon.
    http://us.naturespath.com/product/flax-plusr-flakes

Optimum Power® Blueberry Cinnamon Flax Cereal (9g fiber / 200 cal)
    I haven't tried this one but it looks good. :)
    http://us.naturespath.com/product/optimum-powerr-blueberry-cinnamon-flax-cereal

I have to second and third the Fiber One products. Great little treats that are filling and have lots of fiber.
    http://fiberone.com/products/brownies-and-bars/90-calorie-chocolate-fudge

And then there is my favorite: air popped popcorn. Low in calories and high in fiber. I know it's insoluble but it is fiber after all and I get 8g every night when I snack.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    A few of my favorite ways to round out my fiber:

Oroweat Double Fiber Bread - 80 calories a slice with 5g of fiber. (One sandwich equals 10g fiber.)
    Oroweat Double Fiber English Muffins: - 120 calories and 8g of fiber.
    Ronzoni 150 Pasta (only penne and thin spaghetti at the moment) - One serving is only 150 calories and 13g of fiber.

Note: Depending on where you live Oroweat brand is also known as Brownberry or Arnold. All produced by Bimbo Bakeries USA.
  • meganlc0
    meganlc0 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    How funny. I often go well over 30 without even trying. Joys of being a vegetarian I guess, lol.

I pretty much second everything everyone else says. I do eat a lot of chickpeas and lentils which multiple people have already mentioned
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It's really not that hard. Eat some beans or something and you are at like 15g just for 70 calories. Or eat some of one of my new favorite snacks dry roasted edame.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    My favorite fiber source is jicama. Almost 5 grams of fiber in a 100 gram serving for 38 calories.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If your goal is reducing cholesterol, consider asking your doctor about Niacin (vitamin B3). I have high cholesterol genetically; it gets above 300. I had adverse reaction to statins so won't use them. Even when I exercise 6 days a week and watch my diet, my cholesterol is still over 200. So I take niacin.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Typically I will use powdered vitafibre in a protein shake to boost my fibre (and protein) intake. A 15g serving chucked in with my shake is 14g of fibre
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    If you still can't get enough Fiber through your food, you can consider Benefiber...you can put it in any liquid and you won't taste a difference at all. I use to use it all the time, but switched to a store brand that I mix with my protein powder and milk and it thickens it to be a milkshake consistency
  • thatrabidgirl
    thatrabidgirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I swear by lentils... Around 15 grams of fiber in 1/4 cup of dried lentils! I usually just incorporate it in my dinners and use lentils in the place of rice.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I buy several types of low cal breads, pastas, & tortillas that all have extra fiber. Sara Lee has 45 calorie bread & 80 calorie buns with 7g/serving, Mission Carb Balance tortillas have 13g, and Creamette (I've seen other brands too) 150 calorie pastas have 13g. All taste the same as the originals, IMO.
  • kissesdahling
    kissesdahling Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have experience in both having high cholesterol and lowering cholesterol and also experimentation in fiber. (It's a semi-long story.)

The short of it is: saturated fats are the main dietary cause of high cholesterol. Some people say sugar plays a factor, but when I had it at age 7, it's because I was going through a growth spurt and eating whole packages of pepperoni and summer sausage at a time. I was skinny, so it took awhile for my parents to catch on I was eating this poorly. They had thought I inherited my dad's high cholesterol (his is hereditary and very hard to control without meds). A year later after cutting out crazy amounts of animal-based sat fat, I was at normal cholesterol levels.

Which brings me to this point: it can take a few months to lower your cholesterol by diet alone. Try adding exercise if you're not already. For my dad, tons of exercise (he plays singles tennis ALL THE TIME) and getting his weight down to the lowest echelons of healthy BMI for his height has been what has allowed him to cut out his cholesterol meds. So, it is harder if your issue is hereditary.

Dietary changes do work though. Twenty years after my high cholesterol problem, my bad cholesterol and triglycerides are extremely low and my good cholesterol is at an ideal level.

As for the fiber, listen to the people that have mentioned beans and lentils. I personally HATE HATE HATE the texture/mouth feel of beans, but I do eat them to get the fiber because they're so convenient and commonplace. If, like me, you don't like beans in general, go for chickpeas/garbanzos and lentils. Green peas are also an okay source that a lot of people don't really think of as being a good source of fiber.

The Mayo Clinic has a convenient list of high fiber foods on their website that I have referred to in the past. I *have* to get fiber from foods, because I was told by my doctor that due to my short colon and abdominal surgeries as well as medications I take, it could *potentially* be dangerous to take fiber supplements. This was after I had been drinking liquid fiber supplements for a long time, so I was thoroughly freaked out and changed my whole diet to be more fiber rich. I still fail getting to my goal often, but I usually get enough for me and my special colon.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

I forgot to add that this amount of Fiber One gives me 21 grams of fiber. You should also make sure to take in lots of fluids each day so that all this fiber doesn't back up your system.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I like this product - you can keep it with you easily, so you can still use it even when eating on the go or traveling. You can sprinkle this on pretty much anything, and I don't notice much of a noticeable flavor change. https://secure.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/cereals/milled-flax-seed-travel-flax--71518-01014-021_group

• chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am reaching my fiber goal through beans, especially red pinto beans that taste great, you can add them to hashbrowns, salads, soups etc.