What are the benefits of jumping jacks?

Options
Hey all. Just would like to know what other MFP users think of doing 100+ of jumping jacks in a day. Would I see / feel any benefits? Please discuss :)

Replies

• Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Depends on your level of conditioning. It's a great way to get your heart rate up, but if you're not used to it then you may be sore the day after. Why not start by doing 25 3x/week for 1 week, then 50 3x/week for the second week, 75 3x/week on the third week, and 100 3x/week on the fourth week? You will feel yourself getting conditioned to the stresses of doing that work, and it will be easier on your body for it to build up the necessary strength.

I speak from doing the C25k program, where you gradually build-up to the full 5k over the course of 2 months. It intersperses the running sessions into walking sessions, gradually increasing the running time and decreasing the walking time.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If it gets your heart rate up and helps get you moving, I do not see the harm. I see them regularly as part of exercise routines, just not normally as stand alones.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Nada
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    What's there to discuss? If you want to do that to yourself, go right ahead. No one is stopping you.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    In one day, not much. Over time if done regularly some mild cardio improvement. But why?? There is a greater benefit to a more varied routine that takes far less time.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If this is something you are going to do to get your heart rate up for a couple minutes if you've been sitting for a period of time at work or whatever sure but otherwise I'd say there are way better options out there. What are your goals? Your profile is closed and I'm assuming that isn't you in the picture ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    They're good for warming up and loosening up a bit for your workout. In and of themselves they aren't going to do a lot in terms of increased fitness...I've always viewed them as a warm-up exercise.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's entirely up to you. For me, there wouldn't be many benefits. They're boring, 100 of them isn't a long enough workout, and I'd rather go for a bike ride or row.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Jumping Jacks are an 8MET exercise. It will probably take about 90 seconds or less to complete 100 reps. In terms of weight loss, this will get a 200 pound person a calorie burn of about 20 calories (30 for a 300 pound person). So, if your goal is to lose weight, you might want to allot some time to focus on constant motion for like 30-60 minutes if you can.

I created a google spreadsheet with a calculator that has a bunch of different exercises, including jumping jacks. There is a link to the calculator on my profile.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask. In my workplace after a day of sitting in my office chair, my butt hurts. Friday last I resorted to taking a break and doing jumping jacks to see if that would help. It didn't. I was surprised at how much noise I made.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Good for the cardiovascular system and for your bones. Jumping is a great way to prevent osteoporosis.
  • benjaminD02
    benjaminD02 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey all thanks for the replies. My goal is to do 1000 after my walk that I do each day. I am trying to prep myself for 22 minutes hard corps that I have! I will do this for a month and then start 22 mins! Kinda scared that I will not be able to do it. :neutral:
  • benjaminD02
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I find them very useful for wearing children out.

ha ha!
  • benjaminD02
    Options
    Depends on your level of conditioning. It's a great way to get your heart rate up, but if you're not used to it then you may be sore the day after. Why not start by doing 25 3x/week for 1 week, then 50 3x/week for the second week, 75 3x/week on the third week, and 100 3x/week on the fourth week? You will feel yourself getting conditioned to the stresses of doing that work, and it will be easier on your body for it to build up the necessary strength.

I speak from doing the C25k program, where you gradually build-up to the full 5k over the course of 2 months. It intersperses the running sessions into walking sessions, gradually increasing the running time and decreasing the walking time.

Thanks for the suggestion - I can make at least 1000 a day and the build it up to maybe 2000 a day I do them pretty quick!! :)
  • benjaminD02
    Options
    mostein wrote: »
    If this is something you are going to do to get your heart rate up for a couple minutes if you've been sitting for a period of time at work or whatever sure but otherwise I'd say there are way better options out there. What are your goals? Your profile is closed and I'm assuming that isn't you in the picture ;)

Ha no that is not my profile pic - just something fun I found on the web. My goal is to lose 40 lbs / get to 170 lbs on a 1500kcal a day - already lost 9lbs from 213lbs to 204lbs so going strong without too much exercise - need to step it up and tone up!

Cheers for your reply :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Good for the cardiovascular system and for your bones. Jumping is a great way to prevent osteoporosis.

I know they are good for the bones but hate them with a passion. :s

I like your take on the c25k adaptation @Redbeard333, I may just try that. It makes it much more doable- not up to 1000 though.

Cheers, h.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I've learned that working on goals gradually and NOT trying to accomplish that goal the first time you try works miracles. 3 months ago I had no idea that I could run 3 miles in one session, but conditioning can put many goals within reach :)
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    They contributed to the plantar fasciitis that I had for 3 years. To this day, I'm scared to do 30 Day Shred again.