First trimester and nauseous all the time!

Options
Hey, I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy and I'm finding it hard to eat. I find that I get really hungry and want to eat a filling meal, but nearly every food item I can think of grosses me out (meat, chicken, eggs, cooked vegetables, etc.). I've found that fruit juice quells the nausea for a bit, but I don't get full from it... What are your go-to meals during times like these? (sorry men, i guess this question is for the women)

(for the record- I'm NOT trying to lose weight. I'm just eating at TDEE for now. At least, in theory I am...)

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I know these feels. I just ate a lot of small non cooked meals and a lot of smoothies.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    smoothies sound great. what kind of non-cooked meals did you have?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    smoothies sound great. what kind of non-cooked meals did you have?

Mostly salads with grilled chicken or steak, but the meat had to be cold so I couldn't smell it. I had bad morning sickness and now I am in my second trimester it still creeps around a little bit.
  • tomatosoup3
    Options
    thanks for the ideas!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Perfect Food bars were my first trimester go to.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Google foods rich in B6, B12, and magnesium. (Focus on foods, not vitamins).
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/07/15/preventing-morning-sickness-through-diet.html
    Quote: Today’s modern diet is filled with processed foods that are lacking in both vitamins and minerals. These nutritional deficiencies, such as low levels of magnesium and vitamin B6, may be partly responsible for making the nausea and discomfort experienced during pregnancy even worse.

A good book at many bookstores: What to eat when you are expecting
    Here is a picture: https://www.amazon.com/What-Expect-Eating-Youre-Expecting/dp/0761133267
    You might find it at a local walmart, used book store, and definitely at a barnes and noble.
  • tomatosoup3
    Options
    great, thank you very much!
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I lived on cheese and crackers in the first trimester of both of my pregnancies. Saltines or Carr's water crackers. Somehow that was all I wanted to eat.

And orange juice mixed with tonic.
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No cooking - that always set my nausea off, so I found myself eating not so good at times. I loved PB & J; during one pregnancy I ate a lot of cheese pimiento spread on either crackers or bread. As my "baby" is 22 now, it has been a few years ago! You will probably have to experiment to find the right food. Hopefully you will feel better soon!
  • Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I ate cheese and crackers and pepperoni pizza like a fiend when I had bad morning sickness. Also, I ate tons of chocolate chip cookies and milk. LOL. None of these ideas are particularly healthy but it's what I could keep down so I ate that for weeks on end. Hope you get over it soon! It's not fun
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My wife lived off of chocolate milk first and third trimester
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Frozen foods, like yogurt, or smoothies were better for me. At the very least, frozen foods were better coming back up than a warm meal.

I used a anti nausea med that helped a bit. Diclectin I think it was. At the very least I was sick only once or twice a day rather than... more.

Congratulations. I hope the nausea passes soon.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just ate whatever I could stomach, which was often stuff like crackers, fries, carby deliciousness. I never threw up but that constant nausea was awful! Having some cheese and crackers before I even got out of bed helped a bit. Hope you feel better soon!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    nuts especially cashews, plain rice, oatmeal cookies
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Sour things always helped my nausea. I would suck on a piece of lime or a sour candy to calm things down enough to eat.

...and smoothies. I drank a lot of smoothies!
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    buttered toast,cheese,potato chips& soup :)
  • suvoth
    suvoth Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I was sick only if I was hungry..eat! :) Trust me it'll help..oh and another tip...swallow water before you brush your teeth so you don't get sick
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sick this pregnancy but the last two were awful. I found I couldn't do meat at all.... Throughout the whole pregnancy. I also found I couldn't have liquids and solid together. So try keeping your eating and drinking separate. I loved cereal though... Dry cheerios... With #1 gatorade helped.not sure why.I'd actually never had it before being pregnant. #2...a little bit of caffeine free cola seemed to help at least temporarily.

If you really can't keep anything down tell your doctor. They can put you on Zofran or something. I took that with my 2nd...it kinda helped.

Plan your biggest meals for when you feel the best. Like I feel decent breakfast and lunch but I usually feel sickest around dinner. Also make sure something is in your tummy when you get out of bed. It can really help.
  • tomatosoup3
    Options
    thanks everyone- all these ideas are great! hoping the nausea stops soon...! :)
  • sunshines4nate
    sunshines4nate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone- all these ideas are great! hoping the nausea stops soon...! :)

Hi I sufferes horrendously with morning sicknes from a week before i was due until 27 weeks pregnant. I couldnt eat or drink barely i had to force myself as would literally vomit everything up. I found coping strategies to ease the pain from reaching etc and it was dry cakey type food.. so before bed at night i would put a little blueberry mini muffin into a food bag and a glass of water beside my bed.. i would eat it lying down before i got up so i had something in my tummy to bring back out 99% of the time.. BUT my point is I could eat that.. was the only thing my body didnt feel sick at the thought of so give it a go.. little blueberry muffins! Hehe

Also i tried polo mints, sea bands, tablets etc.. everything i could!