Big and Celiac

Treece68
Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been overweight all my life. I have tried and failed so many weight loss programs. Recently I was diagnosed with Celiac, and have had to change everything I eat. I have lost 15lbs. so far just cutting out gluten. Anyone with Celiac have the same problem with being overweight?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Not celiac and not overweight, but wheat gives me migraines so I totally love the gluten-free trend and how I can now get a much better selection of things made without wheat!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I have other autoimmune issues, not celiac, and a wheat allergy. When I went gluten free 6 years ago the first 20lb fell off effortlessly... The rest I had to work for.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    I'm diabetic and watch carbs so I find I am eating very little wheat. Great progress on your weight loss.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Yes. I lost weight as soon as I went GF. I was just a bit over weight at the time and it wa just in the first few months that I lost weight. I lost about 10-15lbs also, and I wasn't cutting calories. I went through a period of eating a LOT of GF substitute foods so I wouldn't feel deprived. Lots of pretzels, muffins, candy and such.

I now know that when I am inflamed I gain weight. I have a few other autoimmune issues and when they act up, I'll often gain weight. I lose once it calms down.