Weight-gaining protein

Options
What's everyone's take on stuff like Mass Gainer? I looked at the info and liked that it had more calories than my usual stuff, but then I noticed that it's because one serving is 4 scoops. What if I just took 4 scoops of my usual stuff. Same thing?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The only thing different about weight gainers is they often try to add extra calories. That's it. I personally would rather chew my calories in the form of pizza or cheesecake or ice cream.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mass gainers include additional carbs and fat...if I took 4 scoops of my protein powder it would come out to just under 500 calories...when I took a mass gainer in high school it was around 1,000 calories. I only took it because I was so active and involved in athletics, etc that my parents couldn't feed me enough to keep my weight up...I never gained a Lb but it helped me to maintain my weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The only thing different about weight gainers is they often try to add extra calories. That's it. I personally would rather chew my calories in the form of pizza or cheesecake or ice cream.

Pretty much my thoughts. But I do understand there may be a need for a quick snack.
  • dillmilk
    dillmilk Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of trying mass gainers as well but then I realized it's more expensive since each serving is 4 scoops you only get a few servings per tub, you're better off having regular protein in a shake with ice cream and peanut butter and banana to get those extra calories instead.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options