I only lose every 2 weeks?

I dont know if this is odd or not, for the last few months despite eating at a consistent deficit (goal set to lose 1lb per week) I only seem to lose weight every 2 weeks.
Eg. I weigh myself- 2-3lb loss, then nothing sometimes even an increase, then 2 weeks later another 2-3lb loss!
Now dont get me wrong I am not complaining, I just find it abit strange. Any thoughts?

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    you look pretty thin. i'm guessing not much to lose? i think its probably not uncommon for it to slow and be sporadic like that. great job keeping going. !
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,134 Member
    Water retention can mask fat loss. I retain more water during ovulation than during TOM. If you retain at both times in your cycle then that could be one reason you only see a loss every couple of weeks.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Water retention can mask fat loss. I retain more water during ovulation than during TOM. If you retain at both times in your cycle then that could be one reason you only see a loss every couple of weeks.

it is probably mostly because of this^^^^

I experience similar trends
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I am that way too...for me it could be my small deficit as I only need to lose 5lbs so I am at 250 a day....and I am not trying that hard.

but every couple of weeks or so bam 1-2lbs down (could be a month wait in between loses too)
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    I am 5ft 4" and currently weigh 151 lb, down from 190. So still a good bit to go yet :smile:
  • Mixedcoffees
    Mixedcoffees Posts: 20 Member
    I dont know if this is odd or not, for the last few months despite eating at a consistent deficit (goal set to lose 1lb per week) I only seem to lose weight every 2 weeks.
    Eg. I weigh myself- 2-3lb loss, then nothing sometimes even an increase, then 2 weeks later another 2-3lb loss!
    Now dont get me wrong I am not complaining, I just find it abit strange. Any thoughts?

It's normal, I been hitting two week plateaus for 5 months. Then the weight falls off. As long as you are sticking with something that works for weight loss you'll be fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Yes, it's probably related to the OP's menstrual cycle.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    My body is weird. I stay the exact same weight for 3-5 days, have 2-3 days of small losses, then same weight for 3-5 days etc.

I noticed it more and more as of late. Strange.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    If you're weighing weekly, and not daily, then you don't have enough information to know what's really going on.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    If you're losing 2-3lb every 2 weeks I wouldn't worry about it, you are averaging a 1-1.5lb loss per week, which is excellent progress. The fluctuation is almost certainly water due to who knows what internal process. Menstruation is definitely a possibility. But it doesn't matter as long as you are making progress overall.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    The overall trend of your scale is DOWN. And you're doing beautifully. From what others have posted, your experience seems in the normal range.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I am that way too...for me it could be my small deficit as I only need to lose 5lbs so I am at 250 a day....and I am not trying that hard.

but every couple of weeks or so bam 1-2lbs down (could be a month wait in between loses too)

Same here. I'm currently about 8 lbs outside the healthy weight range for my height, and I've noticed for the past few months I've had a month''s wait in between seeing losses, too. It seems to come more like a whoosh effect.
    It's frustrating for the other weeks, but weight loss week is always fun..haha
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Thanks everyone, Im just curious :smile:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,876 Member
    Next to the cycle thing it might also be that you're a whoosher. When I was still losing weight I saw similar pattern, but I'm on the pill and don't do stop weeks. I'd stay the same for a while, and then suddenly have 2 days or so where I constantly had to pee, and lost weight while doing so. Looks like while you lose fat the fat cells store water in the empty space until they realise: resistance is futile, and expel the water.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    It's not that water is stored instead of fat cells, just that water is being stored in general for other reasons. It's not actually connected to your fat loss, which is probably happening at a fairly steady rate,but being hidden by weird fluctuations in water for various reasons. If you were not losing fat, the fluctuations would appear as you weight going up and down in a cycle - because you're losing fat it appears as your weight staying the same for a while and then decreasing rapidly.