Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Internet addicts at greater risk of illness! True or False?

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
swansea.ac.uk/media-centre/latest-research/swanseauniversityco-researchfindsinternetaddictsatgreaterriskofillness.php

"The study suggested that those who are addicted to the internet may suffer from great stress when they are disconnected from the net, and this cycle of stress and relief associated with internet addiction may lead to altered levels of cortisol – a hormone that impacts immune function.

Professor Reed added: “It may also be that those who spend a long time alone on the internet experience reduced immune function as a result of simply not having enough contact with others and their germs.”

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Huh. Oddly enough, my stress levels went way down after I stopped playing MMOs, and started arguing with people on here.

LOL
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I do think there is a bright and dark side of the internet. The sights that can lead to positive critical I feel can be good to keep the brain of an old man more flexible. The negative stuff can lead one to learn new stuff. :)
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    True but not so much what the quoted text of the article is saying. Not sure about internet "addiction", either. More so long periods of being sedentary and/or disconnected from real life. I'm a computer junkie, but even at my largest, I had to get up and stretch my legs and do tech-free nights. The sitting just drives me even crazier now. I have been known to walk around my house with my phone while getting my fix. Still a desktop lover, though.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    ... More so long periods of being sedentary and/or disconnected from real life.

Sitting for long periods of time is incredibly detrimental, especially with an ill-fitted chair.

My n=1 experience is the more I sit, the more I ache. Getting up and moving stops the same pain.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If this is the case then many mfp regulars are done for :tongue:
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    It's true of any addiction... Isn't it?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »

Sitting for long periods of time is incredibly detrimental, especially with an ill-fitted chair.

My n=1 experience is the more I sit, the more I ache. Getting up and moving stops the same pain.

This is why I used to do a bunch of high-intensity calisthenics between raid boss attempts and/or instance grinding in WoW years ago. As much as some people hated the wait times for the dungeon queue tool, I found it immeasurably useful. ;)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options

This is why I used to do a bunch of high-intensity calisthenics between raid boss attempts and/or instance grinding in WoW years ago. As much as some people hated the wait times for the dungeon queue tool, I found it immeasurably useful. ;)

A brilliant use of time. I wish I'd done the same. Well, except as a healer (or more infrequently a tank) I just didn't know what a queue time was ;)

Eventually WoW gave me the reason to (mostly) quit playing. They introduced garrisons and I realized that I was doing CHORES in the game. I figured I might as well do chores on my real-life garrison. Which led to increased calorie burns. I still have my subscription, but instead of playing a few hours a day, I play a few hours a month.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »

A brilliant use of time. I wish I'd done the same. Well, except as a healer (or more infrequently a tank) I just didn't know what a queue time was ;)

Eventually WoW gave me the reason to (mostly) quit playing. They introduced garrisons and I realized that I was doing CHORES in the game. I figured I might as well do chores on my real-life garrison. Which led to increased calorie burns. I still have my subscription, but instead of playing a few hours a day, I play a few hours a month.

I didn't make it past Pandaland, so I've not experienced that aspect of the game. I've contemplated going back once or twice, but honestly, I just have too much fun with offline games to care anymore. I'm currently working my way through The Witcher series, and I have a huge backlog of games between my Vita (I love older jrpgs, so the PSX and PSP backward compatibility via PSN is amazing) and Steam.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Huh. Oddly enough, my stress levels went way down after I stopped playing MMOs, and started arguing with people on here.

On the other hand, our collective stress level went up!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to admit this, but now that I see others....;)...I am also a former WoW player who returns for a bit during new expansions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can compare browsing the Internet and playing MMOs though. I mean, sure, there was some drama in my guilds... but nothing compares to what happens on the boards here >:)

But yeah, MMOs is what started my Internet 'addiction', I guess.

No mention of lack of Vitamin D from staying home all day in that article though?
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I spend 8 hours each day at a desk building things for the Internet and I can definitely say it has never done anything positive for my health, physical or mental. I would also say it impacts me negatively on both counts. I am reminded of this every time I take a vacation and spend some time away from devices and on my feet out in the sun.
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I like what I do but I do wish I only spent 3-4 hours each day doing it. Fortunately, I am not an addict as I spend every minute I can away from the Internet. Most of what happens online is garbage and contributes nothing positive to my life.
  • grmeg
    grmeg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would like to see research take into account the fact that those who suffer from chronic conditions may not have the mobility or mentality (such as with depression & anxiety) to get out & about. These people are more likely to rely on the internet for social interaction & recreation.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I feel great stress when I'm disconnected from my bed
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    swansea.ac.uk/media-centre/latest-research/swanseauniversityco-researchfindsinternetaddictsatgreaterriskofillness.php

"The study suggested that those who are addicted to the internet may suffer from great stress when they are disconnected from the net, and this cycle of stress and relief associated with internet addiction may lead to altered levels of cortisol – a hormone that impacts immune function.

Professor Reed added: “It may also be that those who spend a long time alone on the internet experience reduced immune function as a result of simply not having enough contact with others and their germs.”

I remember in the aftermath of 9/11 studies showing that people who spend very large amounts of time consuming media about it were more depressed and anxious. This was certainly true for an acquaintance of mine, who checked out and spent all day in front of CNN. I remember making a conscious choice to stop watching myself.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I remember in the aftermath of 9/11 studies showing that people who spend very large amounts of time consuming media about it were more depressed and anxious. This was certainly true for an acquaintance of mine, who checked out and spent all day in front of CNN. I remember making a conscious choice to stop watching myself.

They just needed to consume more alcohol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've had many an argument with my husband about the time i spend on mfp, so i could say being on here produces a greater risk for my marriage :anguished: