how to log your exercise?

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
What am I doing wrong? I joined a gym. I'm doing these exercises on these machines. I'm sweating.

When I go to put them into MFP they don't seem to be there. I try a few variations on what they might be called but nothing . . . .

I know people on here bash Planet Fitness but it's where I go. They have a 30 minute express workout that I did yesterday . . . including doing steps between each strength exercise. Scoff if you want but I worked up a sweat. Yet I was unable to input these into the system because they aren't there.

I want my credit for the hard work I'm doing. I need the encouragement.

Can some body please help me understand this website & what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Everything with a calorie burn estimate is under cardiovascular. MFP uses general categories because calories are estimates.

Circuit training is a mix of cardio & strength. That might fit.
  • TheRootofGroot
    TheRootofGroot Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think you're better served adjusting your activity level in the goals section and adhering to the daily goal myfitnesspal calculates on your behalf.
    If you want a second opinion on the matter google "tdee calculator" and check a few out.
    They take into consideration how often you plan on working out.
    I find this more reliable than putting my activity level into mfp and then expanding my calorie allowance according to what I do, being as these caloric estimates are often inaccurate and can lead you to overeat.
  • Trish1c
    Options
    One reason a lot of people on here don't like Planet Fitness is because they've made a whole brand off of telling their members that there's a bunch of mean jocks in a corner somewhere laughing at them. It's not true and it's a crappy way to make money.

Honestly as somebody who has always been intimidated by gyms, that marketing is what made me try it out. On the rare prior occasions when I went to a gym in college or even after I never lasted because I always feared that there were those mythical mean jocks in the corner laughing at me or otherwise waiting to humiliate me. As an adult I can clearly stick up for myself & understand people just aren't that mean but clearly I am not the only one with that fear just read some posts from other members who are afraid to try based on their current situations.

• Trish1c
    Options
    I think you're better served adjusting your activity level in the goals section and adhering to the daily goal myfitnesspal calculates on your behalf.
    If you want a second opinion on the matter google "tdee calculator" and check a few out.
    They take into consideration how often you plan on working out.
    I find this more reliable than putting my activity level into mfp and then expanding my calorie allowance according to what I do, being as these caloric estimates are often inaccurate and can lead you to overeat.

It's not so much as wanting to "eat my extra calories" although there is some truth to that. It's more that I want to see the thing that says "if every day were like today, in 5 weeks you'd weigh X" and have X be a smaller # then I currently am.

• TheRootofGroot
    Options
    That is motivating but personally found it inaccurate anyways.
    I'd usually exceed the predictions.
    But yeah it's part of the fun of the app I suppose.
    I think the rule of thumb around here is to eat back maybe 30-50% of what the input gives you.
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you have to log your workouts under cardio. And just estimate it. And i love planet fitness thats where i go. But im canceling it soon. Its to far and im a runner so i run outside its just too much to have the membership especially becaise mine doesnt have a kidzone ive only gone twice on the past month but incan run everyday
  • TheRootofGroot
    Options
    Do they really offer free pizza and ban deadlifts?
  • chrisvwpw
    chrisvwpw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes pizza and bagel day. And no they dont ban deadlifts.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Go to cardio under exercise - search for circuit training - enter the requested info - click on the add to diary button.