How much water is safe?

2»

Replies

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Kdp2015 wrote: »
    I drink about 5 litres of water a day and always have, also my diet is low in sodium. I've never had the symptoms you've described but then I've never felt the need to 'chug water' either. It sounds like you drink a lot more than you need to, are you mistaking thirst for something else, eg is your mouth unusually dry or are you feeling hotter than normal? Either way you need to go to the doctor and more importantly describe the issues you have in detail.

I've never had these symptoms up until 2 weeks ago and I've drank this much for about 2 years with low sodium diet. My mouth does get really dry and is dry atm so it makes me want to drink more
  • callumwalker1995
    Btw do you count water intake when you mix it with other things such as protein, oats, teas etc?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I drink about 5 litres of water a day and always have, also my diet is low in sodium. I've never had the symptoms you've described but then I've never felt the need to 'chug water' either. It sounds like you drink a lot more than you need to, are you mistaking thirst for something else, eg is your mouth unusually dry or are you feeling hotter than normal? Either way you need to go to the doctor and more importantly describe the issues you have in detail.

I've never had these symptoms up until 2 weeks ago and I've drank this much for about 2 years with low sodium diet. My mouth does get really dry and is dry atm so it makes me want to drink more

I'd see a doctor if I was you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

He did. See above. She told him he isn't eating enough.

In the last 2 weeks since the dry mouth?
  • callumwalker1995

He did. See above. She told him he isn't eating enough.

In the last 2 weeks since the dry mouth?

Yes i went last thursday. Blood tests won't come back until Tuesday at the earliest which will test for low salt levels which she didn't think was the problem. She also said I could be anaemic
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Btw do you count water intake when you mix it with other things such as protein, oats, teas etc?

Yes, All of that counts as fluid (water) :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    6 liters??!! Wow, that is a lot. If you are training I would go with Gatorade or something with electrolytes because you are sweating out more than just water.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    If you're drinking that much water and training you need to replenish electrolytes...sodium is an essential electrolyte...I believe this was all addressed in your previous thread.

I drink a lot of water...I train hard and have to stay hydrated...but I also understand that I need more than just water...after a long sweaty ride I've been known to drink pickle juice just as an example.

Also, dump the bro chicken and rice crap and add more variety to your diet.

Only reason why I don't use sports drinks is because I am allergic to sweeteners which all (if im correct) sports drinks have

Then make your own.

Recipe for homemade sports drink:
    http://www.mommypotamus.com/homemade-electrolyte-sports-drink/
    Orange Twist Sports Drink
    3-4 cups water (depending on the concentration you prefer)
    3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2-3 oranges)
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon celtic sea salt or real salt
    2 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup (or more to taste)
    a few drops of Concentrace minerals drops (optional)
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2016
    Flooding your body with water could cause vasodilation this plus 2.5 hrs of exercise might be really lowering your BP and causing some symptoms.
  • callumwalker1995
    Flooding your body with water could cause vasodilation this plus 2.5 hrs of exercise might be really lowering your BP and causing some symptoms.

Nothing wrong with my blood pressureshe checked that too
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    What's with the excessive training pal? Or are you involved in some form of sport?
  • callumwalker1995
    What's with the excessive training pal? Or are you involved in some form of sport?

It's just what I do I prefer longer workouts and always have but I guess it's harming me
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member

It's just what I do I prefer longer workouts and always have but I guess it's harming me

Yeah it looks that way. Consider tapering your workout time down a little. In my experience, it's how effective the training is that counts, not the duration. If you're going all out for an hour or even an 1.5 hrs that's more than enough, especially since you're working out daily. It's a lifestyle not a sprint to get to any particular goal.
  • callumwalker1995

Yeah it looks that way. Consider tapering your workout time down a little. In my experience, it's how effective the training is that counts, not the duration. If you're going all out for an hour or even an 1.5 hrs that's more than enough, especially since you're working out daily. It's a lifestyle not a sprint to get to any particular goal.

It's just I get really guilty if I miss any thing out of my usual workout it's a really big deal for me
  • all_in_the_game
    all_in_the_game Posts: 39 Member
    Being an aquaholic is dangerous too. Limit your consumption to 5 liters even if you work out a lot. Do consult your GP though.
  • callumwalker1995
    Being an aquaholic is dangerous too. Limit your consumption to 5 liters even if you work out a lot. Do consult your GP though.

I ALREADY HAVE