Gyros meat: looking for averages

Options
Huffdogg
Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
I really enjoy gyros meat and it's a pretty good "rest day" food for me, as it's pretty filling and I know has a pretty decent blend of fat and protein. However, I find that the database has wildly different values for it depending on the source. I haven't had much luck getting the info from the local place we generally get it from (they barely speak english and I don't think they really understand the question) so I figured I could work with a "generic" value by weight, but there doesn't seem to be much consensus. One entry will have something like twice as much protein as fat, and twice as much fat as carbs, while another has the fat twice as high as the protein. Some sites like Livestrong and whatnot around the web on a random Google quest are saying that 4 oz is 11g F, 2.2g C, 16g P. I'd like to believe that's true but I don't want to base my diary on wishful thinking. Any help appreciated.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Just use one of the "Lamb, USDA, raw" entries. There are a couple of them, and they're similar.

Or, go to a government website, get the numbers and add your own entry to the database. Gyros meat is just lamb - with spices? I mean that's pretty generic.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I don't know that I think it's true that gyros meat is just lamb. I mean, I think that the stuff you get from a restaurant is often a big processed hunk of meat that's largely lamb but also some other stuff mixed together. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I have it I just use the values from the Grecian delight website

http://www.greciandelight.com/products/gyros-specialty-meats
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For 100grams = Between 264-280 calories, 21-23 grams fat, 9-10 saturated. There aren't carbs in meat. 17g protein.

That's plenty close enough (the two entries in the database here on this site are very similar.)

So, the fat you're seeing in that Google entry might just be the saturated fat. (?) Seems unlikely that lamb would only be that much fat in total (9g per 100g), but I suppose it would help if it was trimmed carefully and the fat rendered off.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    For 100grams = Between 264-280 calories, 21-23 grams fat, 9-10 saturated. There aren't carbs in meat. 17g protein.

That's plenty close enough (the two entries in the database here on this site are very similar.)

So, the fat you're seeing in that Google entry might just be the saturated fat. (?) Seems unlikely that lamb would only be that much fat in total (9g per 100g), but I suppose it would help if it was trimmed carefully and the fat rendered off.

I think you should maybe look a little further into it. There are roughly a dozen entries in the database here on MFP and not only they, but most food service websites that sell gyros meat alone (like the cones that restaurants get) list a certain amount of carbs per serving. Like sausages, there are fillers added to the "loaf" when it's made that add carbohydrates to the mix.