Members with low blood pressure

Options
Yesterday my blood pressure was 66/48 and I went to the doctor today He said I'm becoming too conditioned. Does anyone have this issue?? Thanks.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My BP has always been obnoxiously low, even when I weighed about 265 (though it was getting close to normal then). As I've dropped weight, it's decreased. I've just compensated by increasing my nicotine, caffeine and sodium intake. I wouldn't necessarily recommend any of the above (except for the last one), but eh, it's worked for me.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've historically had low BP (80-100/40-60) but it went up to normal when I was smoking and at my heaviest (I'm 5'3, weighed 200 lbs). It's gone back down; I usually don't worry about BP, I haven't had any negative health effects from it and since high BP runs in my family on both sides, I consider myself lucky and hope it holds out as I get older.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I would only worry about it if you have troubling symptoms like dizziness. Increasing salt may help, especially if you work out and sweat a lot.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I have low blood pressure as well as vaso-vagal syncope (meaning my heart rate will drop sometimes when my bp does). I keep my sodium levels above average and monitor both HR and BP periodically. I've found that my BP has improved since I became more fit. Meaning no more crazy dips, more steady, though still on the low end. Meaning no more passing out for no apparent reasons.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I did have issues. I was on 2 different meds for BP and Tachacardia, both were bp meds. As I lost weight my BP dropped like a rock. I dropped one and that helped for a while. As I was still losing weight it was short lived. I added salt for a while but that got really old. Finally checked with doc and he recommended dropping off all bp meds and monitoring. Other than a couple of times that restaurant foods drove my sodium up its been perfect.

From what I remember reading there's no number that's hard and fast for low BP. It's based on how you feel, lower bp and feeling dizzy or passing out. It's not a lot of fun. Hope you are feeling better soon.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My bp generally hovers around 80/45. Even pregnant and 236# it never went over 105/70.

I eat ALOT of added salt.

Ive been wondering the last few days if its lower now (last check was in march), because I have been having some troubling dizzy spells and near fainting episodes.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have always had low blood pressure. One time I had to stay in the hospital and every time I relaxed an alarm went off because my blood pressure was so low (and that was when I was pregnant which usually raises blood pressure). I do have to be careful it doesn't get too low because I see stars and get nauseated. But, that actually hasn't happened in a while.
  • suvoth
    suvoth Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure was always high when I was fat...but since the big loss, I am usually at 100/68..I think that's okay and not too low..although I sometimes do get dizzy. I think it's more to do with the medication I'm on though lol
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have always had low blood pressure. One time I had to stay in the hospital and every time I relaxed an alarm went off because my blood pressure was so low (and that was when I was pregnant which usually raises blood pressure). I do have to be careful it doesn't get too low because I see stars and get nauseated. But, that actually hasn't happened in a while.

Reminds me of when I had my oldest via c/s. They kept giving me IV fluids to raise my BP (which was at 100/75 at that time)....ignoring me when i kept telling them that 100/75 was HIGH for me. They gave up after 4 bags.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

Reminds me of when I had my oldest via c/s. They kept giving me IV fluids to raise my BP (which was at 100/75 at that time)....ignoring me when i kept telling them that 100/75 was HIGH for me. They gave up after 4 bags.

Wow! Yeah, I was there because of a placental abruption. And everytime I was just about to fall asleep an alarm would wake me up. All night and day for four days. Aaaargh! And then when it was time for me to leave. They said I could go home. I said, "But, can someone finally take this catheter out, so I can go home, and it hurts. And the doctor yelled in shock, "You have had a catheter in for four days!!! It's not supposed to be in that long!" And I got an infection. Aargh! They had told me it hurts because my urethra is very small.