Low carb fruit for smoothies!

Options
I'm starting to get into making smoothies for breakfast and I need some options on fruit. Ones that are low in carbs. I particularly enjoy bananas but unfortunately they're high in carbs. Any other ideas? My smoothie usually consist of: 2 tbsp Chocolate PB2 powder, half a cup of fat free Greek vanilla yogurt, 3-4 ice cubes and half a banana. I would love also to add more protein. But let's start with carbs. :)

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Berries are low carb, especially raspberries and strawberries.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    berries are lower in carbs than many other fruits. I eat 1 serving of berries with plain low fat greek yoghurt for breakfast. It's already high in protein. (Try swapping out the vanilla for plain-it decreases sugar (carbs) and increases protein)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is spinach, some avaocado, cucumber, hemp hearts, a few drops of stevia and a kiwi or some berries.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Not a fruit, but consider adding some protein powder. And spinach :) it will turn your smoothie green, but if you remove the stems, you won't even taste it
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Why do they need to be low carb?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Because maybe she is low carb?

I use about 70 grams of frozen strawberries. 25 calories and and 6-7grams of carbs. It's a perfect amount to add sweetness and texture.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Like i said in the other thread where you questioned low carb.. Not everyone loves or needs carbs :wink:

• BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Berries are the lowest carb fruit I know. Here is my morning smoothie recipe.
    Kroger 6oz Vanilla carb master yogurt
    1 cup mixed berries frozen
    2 tablespoons half and half
    1 serving designer whey protein powder
    1/2 -3/4 cup water
    1 also add a banana(leave it out)

Total carbs w/o the banana is 27grams(17 of them from the berries) if I did the math right.
    So maybe find the lowest carb berry and just go with that. I know strawberries themselves are pretty low carb.
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Also I suggest eating full fat plain Greek yogurt as opposed to low fat. When they take out the fat, they replace it with sugar to make it taste better. Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries are the fruits lowest in carbs. Blueberries have a few more.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    aeb09 wrote: »
    Also I suggest eating full fat plain Greek yogurt as opposed to low fat. When they take out the fat, they replace it with sugar to make it taste better. Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries are the fruits lowest in carbs. Blueberries have a few more.

I have yet to see a plain non-fat Greek yogurt with added sugar - there may be some but I've never found one. Generally speaking, the natural sugar may be higher in non-fat Greek yogurt simply because it's more concentrated when the fat is removed. At least that's how I understand it - I could be wrong.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    aeb09 wrote: »

I have yet to see a plain non-fat Greek yogurt with added sugar - there may be some but I've never found one. Generally speaking, the natural sugar may be higher in non-fat Greek yogurt simply because it's more concentrated when the fat is removed. At least that's how I understand it - I could be wrong.

Yep, they don't add sugar to low fat yogurt. The % of calories from sugar is slightly higher because removing the fat makes the % of calories from fat lower.

OP, berries are your best bet fruit-wise. I find strawberries give you the most taste "bang for your buck".

Alternately, you could put greens in your smoothie for nutrition, and switch from the PB2 to a low-carb flavored protein powder to sweeten it up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    The calories in fruit is mostly from carbs, so you'll have to choose between eating more fruit, and eating low carb. Do you know what you want to achieve, and the effects of what you are planning to do? I'd suggest starting there, because that will make which route you need to take much clearer.
  • Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I tried my smoothie today with blackberries instead of a banana and I gotta say it was good but a lot of seeds. I'll try strawberry or raspberries next time. I want to try a protein powder but I'm at a loss as to which one to use. I'm not trying to bulk up. I barely do any exercise. So maybe one that's 20g of protein? And yes the reason I want low carb is because I'm on a low carb diet. Not too low carb though. 100g at max. Thanks to everyone for the comments and advice. :)
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My favourite protein powders that actually taste like what it says on the label are Quest and Optimum Nutrition choc/peanut butter casein. Both brands are low carb/sugar.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    A protein powder won't cause you to bulk up. Only very heavy lifting will do that. :)

I like Genuine Health protein powders. They are sweetened with stevia and are almost zero carb. I like to add a quarter or half scoop to my coffee every morning, along with some whip cream or a teaspoon of coconut oil. Probably only 10g of protein but it adds a nice taste. I like to drink my calories and most smoothies are too high carb for me so coffee does the trick. (I am very low carb - ketogenic.)

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I like strawberries best, sometimes add a piece of banana. Just bought a blender so that I can make them again. You can add protein powder if it helps meet your protein macro.
  • arditarose
    Options
    My favourite protein powders that actually taste like what it says on the label are Quest and Optimum Nutrition choc/peanut butter casein. Both brands are low carb/sugar.

The ON choc/peanut butter has a strong peanut butter flavor?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Nope, it is rather mild. I sometimes add PB2 to up the ampage :lol: The only way I can explain it is it tastes like equal parts of chocolate and peanut butter, neither overwhelm the other.

Have you you tried Quest PB protein powder?
  • arditarose
    Options

Nope, it is rather mild. I sometimes add PB2 to up the ampage :lol: The only way I can explain it is it tastes like equal parts of chocolate and peanut butter, neither overwhelm the other.

Okay. I'm always looking for a strong PB protein powder so I don't have to add powdered PB. I've tried the Quest and think it's pretty mild. My favorite has been the BSN peanut butter cookie so far. A little higher in fat but probably why it tastes good.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Okay. I'm always looking for a strong PB protein powder so I don't have to add powdered PB. I've tried the Quest and think it's pretty mild. My favorite has been the BSN peanut butter cookie so far. A little higher in fat but probably why it tastes good.

I love BSN, but it gives me the gasses :sad: