Protein goal seems impossible

Options
2»

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I save all my carbs for fruit and veggies...well, and ice cream. All the suggestions are great. And 160 doesn't seem high if she weighs 160 or above. The OP did not post her weight or what her goals were. Or her age. I read a recent article that as we age, the protein goals should increase to where those in their 60's and above should really be shooting for 2g/lb body weight.

Anyway...OP, I find the easiest thing for me to shoot my protein levels up is jerky. I make my own to keep cost down, but it's a great snack and full of protein.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cprswank wrote: »
    Hi. I have been working with a nutrition coach for a few months. The protein goal he has me attempting to reach daily seems crazy hard, especially since carbs are cutting back, too. Need help. Goal is 160 protein grams per day. Carbs 120 or less daily. Sad face.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/p1

That is a list of a lot of protein sources.

I would question why your protein is so high. Even as a male at 175 @16% BF, I don't need that much. Don't get me wrong, if you want to eat that high you can, but most studies wouldn't show a benefit after 1g per lb of lean body mass, unless you are very lean and then the range it 1g per lb of lbm to body weight (or 1.5g-2.2g per kg of weight)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Have you asked why 160g is the target he/she sets for you?

You haven't mentioned your weight or activity/exercise or calorie goal so people can only guess how appropriate they may think it is as a goal for you.
    I know it's higher than I need - but I'm not you!

Have you asked why carbs need cutting back to sub 120g / day?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    My diary's open, if you want more ideas... (my goals - 153 g protein, 68 g carbs before additional exercise calories)

Cottage cheese, tuna, Greek yogurt, eggs, protein powder are all your friends. To keep my carbs low, I limit myself to one piece of fruit max per day, maybe none. Cauliflower or zoodles for pasta. Lettuce wraps for bread. I use sugar free syrup or stevia in my coffee, never added sugar. Once you get some things in place, it becomes easier :)
    One piece of fruit a day to keep carbs low? Wow.

Why is that odd? Many days I eat zero fruit, I prefer vegetables.

Many good suggestions for protein above. I generally have meat at every meal so that gets my numbers up. Greek yogurt, protein powder, cottage cheese are diet mainstays as well.

I just never viewed fruit as bad.

I don't view it as bad either. But I really do run better and look better on lower carb (my body fat% is getting lower and carbs bloat me). Eating a lot of fruit is definitely a way to hike up your carbs. Carbs aside, I actually find fruit to be not that low calorie, and at the same time NOT filling. Different strokes.

Apples are very filling for me when mixed with some protein/fat. But other than that, nope. I still eat pretty much an apple a day at this point (but only Pink Ladies because they are extremely satisfying to me).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    My diary's open, if you want more ideas... (my goals - 153 g protein, 68 g carbs before additional exercise calories)

Cottage cheese, tuna, Greek yogurt, eggs, protein powder are all your friends. To keep my carbs low, I limit myself to one piece of fruit max per day, maybe none. Cauliflower or zoodles for pasta. Lettuce wraps for bread. I use sugar free syrup or stevia in my coffee, never added sugar. Once you get some things in place, it becomes easier :)

Many good suggestions for protein above. I generally have meat at every meal so that gets my numbers up. Greek yogurt, protein powder, cottage cheese are diet mainstays as well.

I don't view it as bad either. But I really do run better and look better on lower carb (my body fat% is getting lower and carbs bloat me). Eating a lot of fruit is definitely a way to hike up your carbs. Carbs aside, I actually find fruit to be not that low calorie, and at the same time NOT filling. Different strokes.

I guess so. I feel rundown without any fruit or carbs.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    . I read a recent article that as we age, the protein goals should increase to where those in their 60's and above should really be shooting for 2g/lb body weight..

Im sorry, but that sounds insane. That would mean I would have to eat 300 g of protein when I'm 60, that's ridiculous. And with 60 year old kidneys, doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

In my opinion protein today is what low fat was in the 80s, it's supposed to cure everything and that's just not the case. Make sure you get some but this crazy amounts won't help you at all. I usually reach 100 g more or less easily and so that's what I eat.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Apples are very filling for me when mixed with some protein/fat. But other than that, nope. I still eat pretty much an apple a day at this point (but only Pink Ladies because they are extremely satisfying to me).

Yeah actually I had an apple with some protein peanut butter the other day and that was a pretty well rounded snack that kept me full. I was pleasantly surprised. I can't keep peanut butter around so it had been awhile since I had it. I think it being a protein peanut butter helped too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

I guess so. I feel rundown without any fruit or carbs.

Yeah, it's different for some of us. I still eat carbs, but I can diet on 50-100 net and feel fine. I'm also cool with 200. For me if my fat dips too low I get all out of whack, hormonally even. I'm also not an athlete, I'm lightly active, and I power lift and feel like I don't need a substantial amount of carbs to fuel my workouts.