Bipolar disorder discussion

Options
I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type 2 about 14 years ago (how time flies!) I've come to terms with most of the "quirks" of my diagnosis, particularly my inability to motivate myself during depressive episodes. I'm still curious about how other people deal with it. Are there any tips or tricks you have to share?

Replies

• Flugelblues
    Flugelblues Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not bipolar but have suffered from depression in the past. On my good days I would write lists of achievable things to do on my really bad days. The lists were really small things like eat something that isn't toast, go outside for 5 minutes, shower. I then just had to motivate myself to pick one list on my bad days and doing little things helped my mood a lot.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    i second the lists. it gives you a feeling of accomplishment.
    i also find getting out of the house. even if it's the doorstep improves mood.
    good habits are important because then when you are in a depressed mood it's easier to do them-because it is habit, like breathing.
    i have atypical depression and anxiety-no bipolar. but hope that helps
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I have depression-dominant bipolar type 2. I totally agree that motivation pretty much disappears during a depressive episode. So I do what I can to prevent the depressive episodes from getting too bad. They're still going to happen, but there are things I can do to make them manageable. The first thing is regular exercise. Even when I'm feeling blah, I force myself to get up and go for a walk or run, or go to the gym. The feeling I get after a good workout is something I cannot describe... it's just an amazing feeling, and that helps keep the depression away.

Another thing I had to do was get my meds working. I went for years trying different meds and it seemed like nothing was working, but finally about a year ago I got a new psychiatrist who changed my meds to a combination that really works for me. It wasn't until that happened that I was able to concentrate on taking better care of myself through diet and exercise.

I personally don't do therapy. I never get anything out of it, and I find it excruciating. But there are people who do benefit greatly from talking with a therapist.

And finally, it helps to just stay focused on the GOOD things about your life rather than the bad. I still have times where I fall into a deep hole of self-pity, but I've been getting better at focusing on the positive aspects of my life and trying to let the bad go.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. I am always here for my fellow humans with mental illness. :smile:
  • JohnandCatherinesmom
    JohnandCatherinesmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm posting on this thread for info. What would be the signs that you are living with Bipolar?
  • jrskillings
    jrskillings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm posting on this thread for info. What would be the signs that you are living with Bipolar?

Well, there are many different signs of bipolar disorder. The first sign is cycling between moods, often times with extreme mania and/or depression.

Possible symptoms of mania:
    *Feeling invincible, like nothing one does will have consequences or they can easily beat those consequences. This often leads to impulsive behaviors, like excessive gambling, risky sexual behavior, fist fights, reckless driving and impulsive money spending.
    *Racing thoughts, like one has so much going on in their brain that they can't focus on anything. When this happens to me, it feels like I have fifty voices in my head talking at once. The patient usually can't concentrate or focus on a task.
    *Auditory or visual hallucinations - Its pretty self-explanatory, but hallucinations can be common. Auditory hallucinations are usually voices. When I used to hear them as a teenager, they just whispered random things, but many patients report being told to do things.
    *Magnified sexuality - I mentioned that many patients engage in risky sexual behavior. It may be related to a feeling of invincibility, but sometimes its just an increased libido. Some patients will feel, well like they NEED it... A lot. This can lead to not using protection, having multiple partners or doing things they wouldn't normally want to do.
    *Feelings of grandeur - The belief that oneself is a God, superhero, immortal, prophet or celebrity are extreme cases. One may have an extremely inflated ego. One times I created my own religion for a day!
    *Inability to sleep - I can stay up as much as 72 hours at a time, but I've heard of people being awake even longer.
    *Increased need to accomplish things - The patient may feel the need to get everything done. Often times they'll jump around from task to task without actually finishing anything.
    *Fast/pressured talking - Basically talking so fast that people can't follow. This is usually one of the first signs that I'm coming up into mania.
    *Irritability - Its pretty self explanatory. Just that feeling where everything makes you want to snap.
    *Euphoria - This is usually a reason someone with bipolar stops taking their meds. Mania may bring a feeling of bliss that patients become addicted to.

Depression: Depression is more well-known. I've noticed that it seems to come in a few forms:
    *Apathy - Not being able to care at all. Patient is usually unable to get motivated to get out of bed, shower, etc. Sometimes they'll feel tired or run down.
    *Sadness - The patient will cry and feel melancholy.
    *Despair - This is what I call my mood when I get at my lowest. Its usually when suicidal desires and/or self-harm occurs. Patient may have passive thoughts or actual plans of killing themselves.

That is all I can think of at the moment, but I haven't listed everything. Anyone else have input they'd like to give?
  • jrskillings
    jrskillings Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have depression-dominant bipolar type 2. I totally agree that motivation pretty much disappears during a depressive episode. So I do what I can to prevent the depressive episodes from getting too bad. They're still going to happen, but there are things I can do to make them manageable. The first thing is regular exercise. Even when I'm feeling blah, I force myself to get up and go for a walk or run, or go to the gym. The feeling I get after a good workout is something I cannot describe... it's just an amazing feeling, and that helps keep the depression away.

Another thing I had to do was get my meds working. I went for years trying different meds and it seemed like nothing was working, but finally about a year ago I got a new psychiatrist who changed my meds to a combination that really works for me. It wasn't until that happened that I was able to concentrate on taking better care of myself through diet and exercise.

I personally don't do therapy. I never get anything out of it, and I find it excruciating. But there are people who do benefit greatly from talking with a therapist.

And finally, it helps to just stay focused on the GOOD things about your life rather than the bad. I still have times where I fall into a deep hole of self-pity, but I've been getting better at focusing on the positive aspects of my life and trying to let the bad go.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. I am always here for my fellow humans with mental illness. :smile:

I like what you said about getting the right medications. It took me several years as well. My favorite part is that you mentioned how it helped you concentrate on diet and exercise. I know to some it seems to some skeptics like we're just looking for a magic pill, but really the right combination of medications makes it easier to find a holistic approach to treatment. A good doctor will advocate for nutrition, exercise and other self-care activities as opposed to just throwing meds at us. Trying to create a balance really helps.

I feel you on the self-pity. I do it from time to time. I've noticed that finding humor in some of my symptoms helps.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Reviving an old thread. But Wowee!!!! I feel like I've come home! I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 about 18 months ago. My funks (depression side) can last for weeks if I don't pull myself out of them and of course the longer I wallow in my couldn't give an f mood the harder it is to get out of it. I went back to the psychiatrist dr yesterday and told her that I'm in a funk and I can't get out of it. She wants to change meds.
  • magnessd
    magnessd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for writing about mental illness. The more we bring awareness to the suffering and challenges we face daily, the more people will hopefully understand what we are going through. I was diagnosed 8 years ago with severe depression. Since then I have notice each year I lose and gain around 60 lbs 2-3 times a year. I feel like I am totally healed and invincible when I lose the weight and put on muscle... THEN... The storm clouds start to come and the depressive death spiral starts. I lay bed and breath through the storm. I start binge eating and hate myself even worse. After I gain the 60 lbs back, I cry and hate myself for awhile then the hypo-mania kicks in and start my "clean eating and exercise".... I told my psychiatrist about these cycles and my diagnosis was changed to bipolar depression II. I have lost so much due to this horrible disease and I am determined to contain it the best I can so I can hopefully thrive in life again, instead of barely surviving. Thank you again for talking about mental illness. I just tell myself to try to be patient, open-minded, and appreciative for each I get to live.

Please add me as a friend if you want. I am trying to socialize and connect more as I isolate myself from friends and family because I feel like such a burden sometimes. I know my life matters and I am worth it. I just want to love myself and others again. So many people don't understand me, so to have support from people who can relate with I am going through would be a great help. Thank you.

-Daniel