too much fruit sugar not diabetic

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
I made a smoothie for breakfast including blueberries, strawberries, honey & a banana. I'm already over my sugar allotment for the day. Yikes!

I'm doing better keeping my overall calories low so how bad is the sugar thing, really? Can you actually become diabetic from fruit?

FWIW the last time I had my blood work done, I was still drinking 4-6 cans of regular Pepsi per day & my sugar was fine . . . around 90. So even though I'm over the "right" amount I'm still waaaayyyyy below what I was consuming. On balance that has to be better, right?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Diabetes is caused by obesity and genetics, not too much sugar. As long as exceeding your sugar goal doesn't keep you from meeting your other nutrients, it's fine.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you do not have any medical conditions that require you to monitor sugar intake strictly I do not think you have anything to worry about. Yes, fruit contains a lot of sugar but it also contains a good deal of fiber and antioxidants. Sounds like you are doing great!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Sugar can complicate existing diabetes but it does not cause it. You're fine.
    The main known causes for diabetes include genetics, obesity and inactivity (being sedentary). You can't do anything about genetics but you can manage the other two factors by losing weight and moving more.
    Sounds like a tasty smoothy! Drink up and don't worry about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You've lowered the amount of sugar you eat. That sounds like a good thing to me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    I made a smoothie for breakfast including blueberries, strawberries, honey & a banana. I'm already over my sugar allotment for the day. Yikes!

I'm doing better keeping my overall calories low so how bad is the sugar thing, really? Can you actually become diabetic from fruit?

FWIW the last time I had my blood work done, I was still drinking 4-6 cans of regular Pepsi per day & my sugar was fine . . . around 90. So even though I'm over the "right" amount I'm still waaaayyyyy below what I was consuming. On balance that has to be better, right?

I would agree. No need to get crazy over sugar but being responsible with your consumption is a good thing...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There is a correlation between sugar intake, how long the intake of sugar is high, and diabetes. http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0057873

You sound like your BG is fine but you can't be sure you'll stay that way. My BG was perfectly fine until suddenly it wasn't. The safest route may be to reduce sugars; perhaps skip the banana and honey in your smoothie. You may not need to reduce sugars but there isn't any real way to know. It won't hurt anyways.

Switch to diet soda if you want to continue with soda. It's just helping your odds.