Pre-filling the food diary

Options
13»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow's Popeyes dinner is being made possible by pre-logging, which I did on Monday.
  • pescetarian_love
    pescetarian_love Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I will fill it in for tomorrow morning's breakfast if I have completed the day. Gives me something to focus on for the next day. I think it helps.
  • Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I usually pre log dinner daily because I meal plan every dinner. It helps me stay on track for the day because I like to use most of my cals for then.
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am a creature of habit and I like to eat the same foods every day. I eat the exact same breakfast, usually a string cheese for lunch, and then I try to plan out dinner enough in advance and log as much as I can. Usually meats that I weigh get logged last. What left over calories I might have, get used for an evening snack.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I tend to do best when I pre-plan at least part of my day. As others have said, breakfast is usually pretty easy as I rotate between the same foods typically. I also aim for a salad each day, so I'll plug that in for lunch or dinner (I alternate when I have my salad, and thus adjust the portions of vegetables). I also try to have an idea for how many calories/carbs/proteins I can have for my snacks.

I've also started to look at my day as 3 hour chunks, instead of certain meals/snacks. Some days lunch may fall later than others (depending on what my co-workers may have planned/appointments), so then I may swap a snack for "lunchtime", and eat less lunch later.

Whatever works best for you is what matters. Good luck!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I fill my food diary in the morning. Then I print it. I take the printed diary to the kitchen and start measuring and chopping. For each item, if the weight differs from the diary, I note that on the diary. If necessary, I note changes to the plan. At the end of the day I use the noted differences to update my food log.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I usually pre-log the night before, occasionally I log more than one day in advance.
  • bobbiebrooks1
    bobbiebrooks1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I pre-fill my diary every day from breakfast to snacks, then a tentative dinner. If I decide I don't want a certain snack that I had planned I can see how many calories it is and swap it out for something with similar value. If I don't eat something that I had planned for the day I just simply delete it from the diary before I go to bed then I complete my diary for the day. When I didn't prefill my diary I ended up having like 200 calories remaining for dinner and that sucked!! Also I work a Monday-Friday day job and my rule is, if I don't bring it I don't eat it - so I pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks for the day everyday. This does take some planning but it is so worth it - I promise.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the morning of or evening before (if I'm super organized). It keeps me on track. Tonight and tomorrow night, I'm at dinner parties. Pre-logging - especially when I know the menu, more or less - enables me to do a better job of eating around and up to the event. Or not eating, as it were.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I fill out my diary the night before. I tweak it lots the next day (updating grams, switching ingredients ). It helps give me an idea where and how I'm going to spend my calories so I don't over do a meal and end up over for the day.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes I prelog a day in advance. I can't just log as I eat. I'm not disciplined enough for that yet.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i prelog for the next day the night before. so like i'll pre-log tonight for tomorrow. I usually leave about 500-600 calories open for dinner since that's usually just decided after i get home from work. (too tired for this, etc).
  • Hungry_Shopgirl
    Hungry_Shopgirl Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    No. When I was prelogging I actually lost less weight than now, mainly because what I ate was dissasociated from my hunger cues. For example, if I had prelogged 1/2 cup of rice, I ate 1/2 cup of rice because I knew I could "afford to" within my calorie allotment. When I stopped prelogging I realized I'm actually satisfied with 1/3 or sometimes 1/4 cup of rice! That amazes me cause I never used to be someone who ate small portions, but now that's what my body needs. I guess my point is that I found it really beneficial to learn to listen to my body for when to eat and when to stop as opposed to a prelogged amount.
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I pre log.

It helps me out if I crave something heavy in cals/fats, like chicken wings and beer. If it's the start of weekend and I know I'm going to splurge on beers, I pre log them and try and move my butt on that day drunk or not or even out the next day (or two) if I have to. Same thing with wings, I love Checkers haha.

During the week when I work, I pre log and then check after each food to see how my nutrients are coming out as I try and hit the suggested goals for everything each day. I actually am more satisfied with less food this way. :smile: (I am actually debating on going premium for this reason).