hot yoga to maintain weight

Options
has anyone used any type of hot yoga to maintain weight? if so has it worked for you? what are your thoughts.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    in what way will doing yoga affect whether you maintain your weight?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thoughts:
    You are looking at a tiny and impossible to measure part of a much bigger picture.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I did yoga frequently in the past and I will say that while it isn't a huge calorie burning it definitely improved my mood and mindfulness which made it easier for me to eat a mindful and healthy diet. I didn't do hot yoga but I assume it would have similar benefits. Maintaining weight comes down to calories in and out but I found that the mental component of yoga played an important part for me. I definitely got stronger doing it as well but there are definitely better calorie burning activities if that's what you are after.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    hot yoga will not help any more than regular yoga.
    regular yoga will help minimally. depending on the type of yoga, it may help.
    all calories burned will help maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You maintain your weight when you consume energy (calories) that are commensurate with your stats and activity level irrespective of what exercise you're doing.

As far as energy expenditure goes, yoga or hot yoga isn't going to be all that substantial...that said, I love yoga...it's great for my flexibility and balance and is a mentally calming practice for me.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    As far as calories burnt, meh. But after a hot yoga class I find it nearly impossible to eat calorie dense food. It keeps me in a good mindset which makes eating well a lot easier. So in that regards, sure it can help with maintenance. Overall maintenance is determined by eating as many calories as you burn. Yoga and other activities will help you with your overall fitness and well being.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yoga to maintain weight? Not as a primary source of exercise. But I will say that yoga burns a wee more calories than sitting on the couch.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I have been doing yoga for a number of years. It has not helped with weight management but has helped improve strength, flexibility and balance. It has also helped with stress management.