Exercising for more food??

Options
2»

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people do that. I'm basing that statement off the fact that early mornings on big holidays (4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) are packed at my gym. Pretty sure people are there burning calories so that they can enjoy their big holiday meals. Whatever works for you!
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people do that. I'm basing that statement off the fact that early mornings on big holidays (4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) are packed at my gym. Pretty sure people are there burning calories so that they can enjoy their big holiday meals. Whatever works for you!

But in reality, those folks are burning off (maaaaybe) hundreds of calories while consuming thousands. Lot's of generalities, but there are lots of studies out there that show how much typical Americans (I know, I know( eat at the holidays. Then compare that to how many calories you burn even during a good workout.

The average American can eat over 4,500 calories for a holiday gathering.
    It takes over 6 hours on the elliptical to make up for that (per MFP) - and I very much doubt that these folks are hitting that thing for 6 hours.

http://caloriecontrol.org/stuff-the-bird-not-yourself-how-to-deal-with-the-3000-calorie-thanksgiving-meal/
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I cardio for beer
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    RicMackie wrote: »

But in reality, those folks are burning off (maaaaybe) hundreds of calories while consuming thousands. Lot's of generalities, but there are lots of studies out there that show how much typical Americans (I know, I know( eat at the holidays. Then compare that to how many calories you burn even during a good workout.

It takes over 6 hours on the elliptical to make up for that (per MFP) - and I very much doubt that these folks are hitting that thing for 6 hours.

http://caloriecontrol.org/stuff-the-bird-not-yourself-how-to-deal-with-the-3000-calorie-thanksgiving-meal/

Very true. But a lot of people also end up eating less the rest of the week too. And even a 400 calories work out is better than nothing.
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    RicMackie wrote: »

Very true. But a lot of people also end up eating less the rest of the week too. And even a 400 calories work out is better than nothing.

Absolutely!!!
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yes of course it makes sense. That's why there are such things as Thanksgiving day races like Turkey Trot. You're already going to pig out anyway, so you might as well pre-burn the calories.