Chronic Inflammation...

Options
J72FIT
J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Good article on chronic inflammation. I appreciate the fact that lifestyle is the main culprit while diet is given the respective, "can also lead to" point of view. In my experience, when it comes to health and fitness, diet is typically over-hyped while exercise and lifestyle are typically under-hyped...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/inflammatory-foods-worst-inflammation_n_2838643.html

Replies

• cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I didn't get that from the article at all. It didn't seem to say one culprit (lifestyle or food) was worse than the other, but I thought was making the point that both play into chronic inflammation, which is something that Robb Wolff and Sisson have been saying for years.

I did take a breath when it brought up sugar, which seems to be a hot spot on these boards....
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Really?

From the article...

The causes of chronic inflammation can vary person to person, but include being overweight, experiencing lots of stress and even breathing polluted air, Women’s Health reported. Lifestyle choices, like smoking or lack of exercise, also play a role. “Sedentary lifestyle, lack of sleep — we have these repetitive insults that increase longer-term inflammation,”

"The foods we choose to eat — or not to eat — can also affect inflammation. Getting your fair share of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat and omega-3 fatty acids — similar, yes, to the Mediterranean diet — has been suggested to have anti-inflammatory effects. “Diet can serve as a protective function,” says Sandquist. “When our bodies are best nourished, we’re able to heal quicker if we do cut our finger and maybe even prevent chronic inflammation.” It’s likely that no one food is to blame for causing inflammation, she says, but that your overall diet could contribute."

For now, anti-inflammatory diet guidelines are simply suggestions. More research is needed to truly understand the relationship between diet and inflammation and, in turn, disease, WebMD reported.

Pay attention to the words they use. With lifestyle it was simple, "The causes of chronic inflammation..."

With diet words like, "can also", "been suggested", "maybe even", "could contribute", "simply suggestions" and of course "more research is needed..."
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is chronic inflammation a thing? Belly fat is losing its grip but I'm not sure about bloating.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Is chronic inflammation a thing? Belly fat is losing its grip but I'm not sure about bloating.

I'm not a doctor but I believe so...
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have chronic inflammation but I have celiac
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Chronic inflammation doesn't seem to happen unless you have immune problems or poor lifestyle (food, activity) choices.

I too have a few autoimmune diseases. Food choices seemed to help. Exercise does not seem to help much. Even mild exercise. I started walking a few months ago. While I find it helps with stress my hips and knees are most defnitely NOT thanking me. They hurt (osteoarthritis and autoimmune arthritis) and are more inflamed (hot and swollen).

Food choices are an easier way to try to reduce inflammation in some cases. I must admit that walking helps with stress reduction (which can help with inflammation) though.
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Really?

From the article...

The causes of chronic inflammation can vary person to person, but include being overweight, experiencing lots of stress and even breathing polluted air, Women’s Health reported. Lifestyle choices, like smoking or lack of exercise, also play a role. “Sedentary lifestyle, lack of sleep — we have these repetitive insults that increase longer-term inflammation,”

"The foods we choose to eat — or not to eat — can also affect inflammation. Getting your fair share of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat and omega-3 fatty acids — similar, yes, to the Mediterranean diet — has been suggested to have anti-inflammatory effects. “Diet can serve as a protective function,” says Sandquist. “When our bodies are best nourished, we’re able to heal quicker if we do cut our finger and maybe even prevent chronic inflammation.” It’s likely that no one food is to blame for causing inflammation, she says, but that your overall diet could contribute."

For now, anti-inflammatory diet guidelines are simply suggestions. More research is needed to truly understand the relationship between diet and inflammation and, in turn, disease, WebMD reported.

Pay attention to the words they use. With lifestyle it was simple, "The causes of chronic inflammation..."

With diet words like, "can also", "been suggested", "maybe even", "could contribute", "simply suggestions" and of course "more research is needed..."

Probably from the "worse foods for inflammation" slide show at the end. it listed: trans fats, sugar, white bread, cheese burgers (saturated fats), alcohol, omega 6 fatty acids, milk, msg, and gluten. It implied those are bad when there is too much in your diet.