July - parties and fun - and fatness?

Options
I have several events in July that involve lots of delicious FOOOOOOD..
I need to keep my eye on the punches and keep rolling with the prize...
or something

I said PRIZE
Not pies

Anyway. Does anyone else struggle at these times?
I think I needs to accept my body as it is though, I know its not where I want to be.. but I need to maybe get some clothes that actually fit me now.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My wife and I hang out with two other couples and their kids all of the time...we take turns hosting BBQs and parties...we enjoy ourselves...outside of those events, we all lead healthy lives...we are all very fitness oriented and exercise regularly and we all eat pretty well...it's perfectly fine to let lose once in awhile and just enjoy life.

That said, just because all of the food is there doesn't mean you have to eat all of the food. We just had 4th of July at my trainer's and his wife's house (one of the couples mentioned above)...tons of great food...I made a plate of food...enjoyed said food...called it a day. It really wasn't any more than any other typical meal I would have had...some pulled pork, some beans, and some slaw...no biggie. You don't have to eat all of the food just because it's there. I did drink 3 shots of tequila and a six pack though...but I'm no worse for the wear.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Second that^
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You can eat less the rest of the week so you can indulge a little bit.

Or you can just make better choices - fun fact, July 4th was my lowest calorie day in months. We went to my brother in law - I didn't really want corn or bun with my burger, and I was not in the mood for cake (homemade for my husband's birthday too), so I only had 2 (small) bunless burgers and 3 asparagus, lol. Then a normal dinner, but I wasn't very hungry anyway.

Just decide what's worth spending the calories on. If it's something that has a lot of calories but you don't really want, just pass on it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of stuff planned but I'm a hot mess at a BBQ. I brought veggies to the last one I went to and made a salad with a burger patty, but I ate all the chips and pie. I just can't stay in a deficit anymore at a party.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If it wouldn't be weird to contribute to the food at these events, maybe bring some chicken kabobs, hummus and veggie tray, fruit skewers and other healthy snacks, then stick with what you brought. Whatever happens, log it.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've found that fresh options go fast at potlucks even among folks not watching their intake. Fruit salad/kebabs, veggie trays, light salads...always empty bowls to tote home. Folks don't take the time and effort to prep this stuff day to day so it's often a treat.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    When I eat alone or with my OH, I weigh out a serving and when it's done, I'm done, as I've been doing this long enough to know how much food satiates me.

But at a potluck, there's still food there and people are still eating, so it's challenging. You could try eating very slowly or load up on low calorie food to pick at. One thing I do, especially when my cousin starts telling the same story for the umpteenth time, is get up and start clearing empty plates or dishes, or other clean up task that needs to be done by someone eventually, or start prepping dessert. In fact, I employed this very strategy on July 3. I had also gotten in extra exercise that day.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Plus an upcoming week of vacation (and last week's roadtrip-slash-frozen custard festival). I've got three big dinner parties with friends three days in a row this weekend. Truth be told, all I want to do is go home and have a light dinner. Or bowl of popcorn. Not weighing myself until I get 10 days of deficit under my belt.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm maintaining through August and will go back to weight loss after party season. I'm close to goal and have a low calorie goal so I eat at a deficit all week and wipe it all out on the weekend. May actually end up being my maintenance plan. I still log though to make sure I stay within weekly maintenance.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Go enjoy your events, just eat and drink within your calorie budget. Last Saturday I had lunch with my parents (Mom's cooking) and dinner at my neighbor's house. The food was delicious! I was mindful of portion sizes, loaded up on salad but had a little of everything and had a great time!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm already frustrated with this summer's festivities and they only just started. Had one grown-up bday party to go to on the 3rd, which I did ok at food-wise but the beer made me have to have pancakes for dinner (funny how that works). Two kids' parties on the 16th, then on the 18th I'm signing up for the company 12-week weight loss challenge... Then at the end of the month will be two days at six flags (company event), and ANOTHER birthday party in late August. Oh and two bingo dates coming up. I can bring my own food to that, but it's not easy sitting with people eating fries, mozz sticks and strawberry cheesecake.

The only real wrench in the works is that damn weight loss challenge. If I wasn't working on a timeline, none of the other stuff wouldn't be an issue.