I know I'm not lazy but...........

Options
I know I'm not lazy but that is how I feel anytime I try to take a rest day. I know that my body needs rest but if I don't work out I feel so down on myself. I have been living an active lifestyle and been at my goal weight for years now but I'm terrified that if I take a day off I will instantly become lazy and unmotivated again. I know this is ridiculous but I just can't seem to get past it.

I workout almost everyday. Looking at my reports shows me that it is completely normal for me to go 3-4 weeks without a rest day. Not all of my workouts are really strenuous but they still work my body in some way. There are days that I tell myself "I will take today off" but I almost always end up doing something by the end of the day to quiet the voice in head saying "Your lazy, your going to get fat". I actually work out enough that I stopped having my period over 5 months ago (TMI sorry). I talked to my doctor about it stopping after being regular for years and after going over everything he thinks it is because I workout so much that my body stopped putting energy into that because it's not "necessary". He said not to worry about it, I'm past wanting to have kids (I'm 39 and already have 3), I'm still ovulating and everything is fine. All that being said, I never thought that I worked out that much.

I'm not sure what I'm wanting from posting this. I guess I want to know that I'm not alone. I know that I'm not the only one afraid of going back to their old ways. How do you get past it? Do you get past it? I actually woke up last night thinking "I don't want to do the push ups and run, I'm tired." Then I realized that I had been dreaming. I feel exhausted today (my first day off after 10 straight at work) and I just want to be lazy but all I can think is "It's your day off, get your running shoes on." Anyway, thanks to anyone taking the time to read my insanity. Hope everyone is having a good day.

Replies

• Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Always look out for number one. If your body is tired, it's telling you to take the day off. It's okay to have rest days! You need them for your body to perform at its best. It's a chance for our bodies to heal. You will not instantly become lazy if you take a rest day here and there. I know how you feel though - today is my second rest day in a row (I NEVER take two rest days in a week) but I realise it's because I've been pushing myself really hard lately, so I must need the rest. IT'S OKAY! And no, you are certainly not alone in how you feel. But you will get past it. Take it one day at a time. Take the rest day, and plan out your day tomorrow that incorporates a workout. If you push too hard, you'll burn out.

Hope that helps!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    If you exercise so hard that you're period has stopped then it sounds to me like you do need rest days. I understand feeling 'lazy' but a rest day could just be a leisurely walk instead of a more intense jog. Let your body rest if it needs it, it's part of a healthy body. :)
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You have to rest..I feel the same way..its almost a compulsion. I change up my routine every few months. . Sleep eat right and exercise but all in moderation. .I know for weeks I didn't take a day off...I love exercising now..but your body needs a break..its ok :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You should look at a rest day (recovery) day as just another essential component of your overall fitness regimen...rest/recovery is just as important as the work...and actually, that's where the magic happens. Exercise and fitness should be for your overall health and well being...exercising to the point you're losing your period because you think one or two little days off is going to make you fat is pretty much disordered thinking and not healthy in the least.

Also, a rest day doesn't mean sitting on your *kitten* eating bon bons...you can have an active recovery day...I often do some restorative yoga...I walk my dog...I take my kids to the zoo and we walk around for a couple of hours...I do a little light yard work, etc.

this ...I try to make sure to have one to two rest days a week ...and those are usually light ab work and light cardio ..
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If my period stopped, that would REALLY bother me. I'd feel like I did something to really *kitten* up my body. I believe strongly in overall health which comes from plain old taking care of yourself. Eat right, exercise, sleep well, rest, play. Balance. Perhaps on your "rest" days just walk or something so you don't feel like a complete couch potato. Just a way to help you get past your unfounded fear of becoming lazy.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

If I were your friend, I'd encourage you to not just see a physical doctor, but maybe talk to a therapist about this. You want to be well in mind and spirit as well as in body, I'd wager! If this is something that you're thinking about, dreaming about, and are casually calling "my insanity," then having a short chat with someone about body image and your need to exercise could be good. It may only take a session or two! I do that kind of thing probably two or three times a year, when I am on an unhealthy/unhappy cycle. I am the kind of person who really enjoys talking to therapists even for what seems like "small" things...I know for many therapy seems drastic and only for emergencies, but I see it as really useful for working out these small things that poke at our hearts and our minds, and add to daily stress and un-wellness.

Our conscious approaches to our health is just as important as our actual physical health, is what I believe. So take your doctor's advice in hand, and maybe talk to someone else too :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's not normal or healthy to lose your period due to exercise. That generally happens when you are underfueling/overtraining, which a lot of women do, to the point where there is a name for what happens--female athlete triad.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Losing your period is not good. Please seek medical help for your obsession before it permanently damages your body.