Garmin and negative adjustments - I think it's gone wonky

Options
I've tried looking on the Garmin forums and it seems there is an issue with adjustments I'm just not sure how much of an issue.

I had negative adjustments turned off for a while as I just lowered my calorie goal manually to 100 per day lower to allow for logging and exercise inaccuracies. Then this week I have upped my daily activity quite a lot (adding on some time on one of those mini stepper things in addition to my Fitness Blender workouts) and thought I'd turn it back on and see what happens. I left my calorie goal adjusted.

Well, before if I sat on my backside all day aside from exercise it would only take maybe 50 calories from me. As of this week, it's taking anything up to 150 calories a day off me. As a female that's quite a lot. When added to my manual 100 downward adjustment that 250 per day potentially. I have always found my burns to be accurate enough so I might be undereating with that adjustment.

So now I'm having a dilemma. Should I just turn off negative adjustments or put my calorie goal back to normal or both? It's set to sedentary FYI because outside of exercise I very much am sedentary.

I'm probably overthinking this but waiting 6-8 weeks to see what the trend is to know if I'm losing too quickly is just too long (I need that long because I lose in fits and starts on the scale).

Replies

• LaReineDesPixels
    LaReineDesPixels Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am using the Garmin as well. So far I am losing the extra lbs while using it but I always wondered about the calorie adjustments. For me it was more the exercise, when I go to the gym it tells me the calories burned beforehand and it makes the adjustments entering that I've been on the treadmill or something like that. Sometimes I wonder if that is WAY off! I believe if you consume much more than the steps calculated there will be no negative adjustment..

Its a little weird I would like to find out more as well.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    My exercise has always been pretty spot on, I use a chest strap, Vivoactive and GymTimer. So the adjustments generally are totally fine for me (I have 440+ days logged so plenty of data).

But they changed how they arrive at their calorie goals before purposeful exercise this year and from what I am gather that's causing issues but I can't find anyone with my exact question on the negative adjustments and if they're fair or excessive.
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use Garmin vivosmart HR+ for activity tracking and Garmin FR 620 for endurance running. I was using negative adjustments before getting the vivosmart and MFP seemed to be adjusting as I had expected. But, recently, per my FR 620, I burned about 900 Calories from a run and MFP showed that I had a negative adjustment; i.e., in MFP I have daily Calories set to 1600, sedentary (because, other than running workouts, I'm sedentary) and the negative adjustment indicated that MFP calculated between 1400 C and 1500 C!

After the second time that week that MFP adjusted my intake for the day at less than just sitting (when I was actually running for 70 to 90+ minutes), I turned off the negative adjustment feature in MFP. Life is good, again. :smile:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Garmin (I have a Vivoactive with chest strap) syncs, but the negative adjustments were nuts when I chose Garmin as my daily step tracker. I now use my phone, even though my phone is typically 4000-5000 less than my Garmin because I don't have my phone on me all the time when I run around my office.

It was taking hundreds of calories away when I used Garmin as my daily step tracker, no matter what kind of exercise I did or didn't do or how many steps. I sync the activities. And when I add yoga to MFP, it syncs back to Garmin. But I now use iPhone as my step tracker. All is well. :blush:
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I just turned off the negative adjustment in garmin. After a 60 mile bike ride & hour of other exercise on Friday, garmin tried to deduct over 500 calories from the burn calculated by mfp because it didn't think I got in all my steps for the day!
    Pretty much every day, garmin records my CICO differently that mfp. I would end a day under net calorie goal according to mfp, then wake up the next morning with a negative correction from garmin that pushed me over my net daily goal. Grrr! :#
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Okay, I feel all vindicated now! I have turned off negative adjustments.

It has always been a little different with the calorie goals but it was never this out of sync. It seems the change in their calorie calculations is causing a headache for everyone (there's some threads about it on their own forums).

Cheers all!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately Garmin doesn't care. This issue started way back in May. Despite all the complaints they haven't fixed it or commented on it.