Do you count lettuce?

Options

Replies

• CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I will eat a head of lettuce at a time. While I don't weight it, I count it as 53 calories. However I'm lazy and I should weight it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah every time I eat lettuce I eat a whole bag or box (yeah I know it's expensive and a waste but it keeps me on target because I'm too lazy to meal prep).
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yes. Even 15g in a sarnie.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Nah. I'll log it as a cup or two, but I don't think 15 cals of lettuce is going to make or break me.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I agree about not sweating the lettuce. OTOH, some of the biggest mammals on this planet eat only greens - Elephant, Rhino.... Hippos:)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Yup. I eat a big heap of it, and it's easy - salad bowl on the scale, tear up the lettuce into it, note the weight, zero the scale; slice the cucumber into it, note, zero; throw the cherry tomatoes into it, note, zero . . . .

Then if I look at MFP reports to see how I'm doing with various nutrients, everything's there (subject to the vagaries of the database); I have accurate-as-possible data to use in estimating my personalized calorie deficit and maintenance calories; I can count up my many, many veggie/fruit servings and gloat about it ( ;) ), . . . .

You betcha.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hippopotamus...:)
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I estimate it 2,3,4, more cups and LOG it! I don't weight it though.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    For a salad, yes. For a burger, no.
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I log it always, don't always weigh it. However, I don't always weigh or log spices and herbs because I usually use very little of them. Helps me keep track of nutrients etc.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I tend to estimate lettuce and record it primarily for vitamin A content. That said, if you're new to calorie counting then weigh it. It's way too easy to not count this or not count that in the beginning, and these run the gamut from lettuce and vegetables to "just a little" coffee creamer or "eyeballing" peanut butter. Don't start by skipping your entries.
  • KarenMoeller2
    KarenMoeller2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh or measure everything I eat. Lettuce included.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    Unless it's toothpaste or mouth wash, if it goes in my mouth, it's weighed and logged.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I count it all.. I am even stupid enough to log vitamins..

But I am a data person. I need to see what I am eating, what I am taking so if I need to look back and see the picture of the past it is there. .

So I log it all, even the 14 calories of lettuce. Plus I copy meals between other user profiles. Got to see it all..
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Nope. One handful of lettuce (or spinach) gets logged as 85g. Two handfuls is 170g. The few times I've checked, I've drastically overestimated. Its not going to hinder my loss, and I eat enough that it's not going to put me in danger of undereating.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I eat salads made out of baby spinach, but same different I guess. I weigh it, but I'm not as nit-picky about it as other stuff. 40 grams vs 42 grams of some spinach isn't going to make or break my whole day
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I weigh/log lettuce and spinach primarily because I'm interested in tracking my fiber.