Serving sizes

Options
kbmh611
kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
One thing I noticed on this app is some foods will just say "a serving" for what you should eat. But that doesn't tell you how much a serving is. Like is it a cup? A half of cup? How do I know if I'm eating what is considered a serving for a specific number of calories?

Replies

• kbmh611
    Options
    Also to add, I'm not talking about packaged foods because those usually tell you what a serving is. I'm looking more for recipes servings.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of the database is created by MFP users and they use whatever is most convenient for them to decide on what a serving is (grams, ounces, cups, portions, etc.). With anything homemade, it's best to avoid those and utilize the recipe builder, as you have no idea if the creator used the same amounts/types of ingredients.
  • kbmh611
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    The vast majority of the database is created by MFP users and they use whatever is most convenient for them to decide on what a serving is (grams, ounces, cups, portions, etc.). With anything homemade, it's best to avoid those and utilize the recipe builder, as you have no idea if the creator used the same amounts/types of ingredients.
    That's good to know. I wondered why many things that were very similar had different calorie amounts for the same sizes. I thought it was accurate info by MFP. I didn't know that the lists of items is just what other users have added or guessed at. That's a little disheartening as I have been trusting these numbers as accurate. The problem I have with the recipe builder is that sometimes a size option I'm using won't be available in that size or amount from the drop down list. Also, it will ask you for a serving size for each item you are adding and then want to know how many of that serving you are using. I guess I confuse this with the amount of servings a person. Sorry I'm probably not explaining this very well...I've had a long day.