Trying to stay positive but can't

Options
pefal1
pefal1 Posts: 43 Member
edited July 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone just started losing weight and you see results but it just seems too good to be true and you are second guessing you results/loss? I have been logging for 6 weeks and have lost 12 lbs. I see the results, my pants are smaller but I just keep thinking it's going to stop working or the rest is never going to come off. :/ positive thoughts anyone?

Replies

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Try not to over think it - it's going well. It may continue to go well or it may stall, you don't know what will happen yet so don't think about it. Just focus on what you're doing now as it is working well. Take time to enjoy the success you are having now, and be proud of yourself. You're doing great!
  • pefal1
    Options
    @MorganMoreaux thanks! It is going well you're right but I can't stop saying well I had a baby not that long ago it's all just the baby weight coming off. But even if it is at least is is coming off, right?!
  • BritannieWilliams1979
    BritannieWilliams1979 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    took me seems like forever to lose the 30lbs kept seeing some difference at about 10-15 in my waist and thought well is that enough is that right am I sick what's up with this.. but geez it took I won't say. I felt the same way like this should be over is this over am I done but it came off probably quicker than I thought .I kept at it and still do to keep it off .. just think of the results and ya when I achieved /...wow so happy ..now I look at myself new clothes even my skin looked better, I swear, and again wow so happy and ya ..to good to be true, I was a skeptic. keep at a it another 12 in no time I believe in you.... PS took me longer than 6 weeks cudos to you, way to go and by the way your pants are not smaller haha something else kinda tighten up like mine
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    pefal1 wrote: »
    Has anyone just started losing weight and you see results but it just seems too good to be true and you are second guessing you results/loss? I have been logging for 6 weeks and have lost 12 lbs. I see the results, my pants are smaller but I just keep thinking it's going to stop working or the rest is never going to come off. :/ positive thoughts anyone?

Goodness, that is awesome!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    You're averaging 2 pounds a week. That is FANTASTIC! Congratulations!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    @MorganMoreaux thanks! It is going well you're right but I can't stop saying well I had a baby not that long ago it's all just the baby weight coming off. But even if it is at least is is coming off, right?!

Weight is weight. I don't know from experience, but from reading through this forum losing baby weight seems to be very difficult. Consider yourself fortunate indeed! Congratulations on your baby!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Lots of people never lose the baby weight. Good for you, I know it's hard to believe. I double check my progress chart fairly often just to remind myself that it's actually working too.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    You are not always going to feel positive, but the good news is, that's not needed all the time to succeed. What you do need to do is stay consistent. To do that, you need to develop good habits that you will stick to, even when it all sucks donkey balls. No one ever said this was easy, but know the reward at the end is beyond measure. Take it from someone who has invested 3-4 years and lost 50 lbs using this site.
  • pefal1
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Science. Trust it. You eat in a deficit, you lose weight. Now just believe you can do it.

I like that!! You're right. Thanks :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Science. Trust it. You eat in a deficit, you lose weight. Now just believe you can do it.

I like that!! You're right. Thanks :)

You can't fight the facts :)
  • pefal1
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    You are not always going to feel positive, but the good news is, that's not needed all the time to succeed. What you do need to do is stay consistent. To do that, you need to develop good habits that you will stick to, even when it all sucks donkey balls. No one ever said this was easy, but know the reward at the end is beyond measure. Take it from someone who has invested 3-4 years and lost 50 lbs using this site.

Yea it's not easy and the hardest part for me isn't the actual counting calories or working out its forcing the negativity from my brain. But I have two girls and I really want to be happy with myself (inside and out) so that my girls can learn from me how to love themselves. That's more important than anything to me. It's what keeps motivated. Congrats on then loss btw :)
  • pefal1
    Options
    Lots of people never lose the baby weight. Good for you, I know it's hard to believe. I double check my progress chart fairly often just to remind myself that it's actually working too.
    That is true! Do ever look in the mirror and see that you are smaller and think it's all in your head because you know you have been putting forth effort?
  • pefal1
    Options

Weight is weight. I don't know from experience, but from reading through this forum losing baby weight seems to be very difficult. Consider yourself fortunate indeed! Congratulations on your baby!
    Yes I am glad/ fortunate I am back to pre pregnancy size! Now it's time to do better than that! :) and thanks!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Yea it's not easy and the hardest part for me isn't the actual counting calories or working out its forcing the negativity from my brain. But I have two girls and I really want to be happy with myself (inside and out) so that my girls can learn from me how to love themselves. That's more important than anything to me. It's what keeps motivated. Congrats on then loss btw :)

It's awesome that you have this as motivation. You have a strong WHY. It's much harder to maintain motivation when your goals are less defined and important to you.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What you seem to be describing sounds like distorted thinking. Your thinking is flawed and doesn't match reality. This can be a major stumbling block for people who aren't aware that their thinking can deceive them and/or that you can choose to change what you think. I would recommend staying aware of this possibility that your negative thoughts might not be accurate. When you start having those negative thoughts, it might be helpful to acknowledge that they represent distorted thinking and focus on the reality of the positive changes you have made and the healthy steps you have taken.

To help keep yourself positive and focused on reality, it might be helpful to keep some objective evidence to help you remember how far you've come - a pair of pants that used to fit that are now way too large, a chart showing your weight loss, etc. It helped me to see progress by having an item of clothing that almost fit and trying it on periodically until it did fit. For me, it was best when it was a short term goal - not a final goal weight outfit, just something the next size smaller. This might be enough to help you see that those negative thoughts are false and replace them with positive thoughts that acknowledge the progress you have made and your ability to achieve your goals.

If you find your negative thinking impacting your weight loss and interfering with your life in other areas, it might be worthwhile to consider seeking out the advice of a counselor who can help you better understand and effectively deal with these negative thoughts.
  • GirlonBliss
    GirlonBliss Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

• GirlonBliss
    GirlonBliss Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think that the hardest part of weight loss is accepting that you aren't the person you used to be. You're becoming the person you envisioned! It's really important to look at yourself in the present and not compare yourself to what you were in the past-the more you disbelieve it, the easier it is to reboun unintentionally. You got this!!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with negativity too. Part of it is to learn to celebrate when the good things -- like a 12 pound weight loss -- happen. Try replacing your negative thoughts with a more positive mantra like I did it before, I can do it again. Keep coming here for support too.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    That is true! Do ever look in the mirror and see that you are smaller and think it's all in your head because you know you have been putting forth effort?

Yes, I find myself asking my family if they can really see the difference all the time. I can see the number on the scale as well as the change in my clothing sizes but still question it.

I think my first issue is that it's still shaped the same only smaller for now, and also that it hasn't been as difficult as I imagined. I have treats, I have off days and just my talking long walks and being aware of my calories.

Do you have pictures you can keep around from the start? I wish I had taken some.