Options
Less than 1000 calories a day, low fat low carb and gaining weight

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

You should be losing on that deficit. Nonetheless, 1000 calories isn't recommended on MFP. They set 1200 as a minimum.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You should be losing weight eating that low. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    If you are actually eating that little, you are likely eating an unhealthy amount of food and should reassess what you are doing.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You are eating more than you think you are.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    There's a disconnect somewhere. Either A. You have some medical problem severely lowering your BMR and you should see a doctor, or B. (far more likely) your calorie counting is off. You could be measuring your food wrong, you could be leaving off some foods that are surprisingly high calorie, or you could be overestimating calories burned during exercise.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Don't worry OP you aren't eating less than 1000 calories a day. Going low fat and low carb is a bad idea, I think you have the wrong idea about weight loss.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

So high protein? Be careful with that, it can harm your kidneys. Dietary fat is a good thing!

How do you know how many calories you're consuming? A digital kitchen scale is your best bet.

Could you give us more information about yourself? Height, weight, age, sex, activity level? I suspect you could be eating more if you iron out some wrinkles in your current way of eating.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    You've been here for 3 weeks. 1) it takes time and patience, 2) you are miscalculation somewhere, 3) why would you aim for 1000 cal? Are you concerned about your health, or just your weight?
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I bet with this severe diet you have also implemented a torturous new workout schedule and you're retaining water for muscle repair. Chill out. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

You should be losing on that deficit. Nonetheless, 1000 calories isn't recommended on MFP. They set 1200 as a minimum.

THIS ^^^ and
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    You should be losing weight eating that low. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?

THIS ^^^
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Try to find a plan you can stay on long term, and don't give up. Adherence is what works.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

So high protein? Be careful with that, it can harm your kidneys.

While high protein may be hard for already damaged/diseased kidneys, there is no evidence that it has any negative effects on otherwise healthy kidneys.
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    1000 is way too low for anyone
    If your female your minimum is 1,200
    If your male I think it's a minimum of 1,500

Maybe if you ate what your supposed too you'd have more success with weight loss
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    smence wrote: »

Maybe if you ate what your supposed too you'd have more success with weight loss

While I agree that 1000 is too low, eating more is NeVER the answer if someone isn't losing weight. She is underestimating how much she is eating.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

So high protein? Be careful with that, it can harm your kidneys.

While high protein may be hard for already damaged/diseased kidneys, there is no evidence that it has any negative effects on otherwise healthy kidneys.

That's good to know!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

While I agree that 1000 is too low, eating more is NeVER the answer if someone isn't losing weight. She is underestimating how much she is eating.

I doubt that she's overestimating enough to gain (for me that would take an accidental 1000 (over the 1000 goal) calorie overage per day)...the fact that she's gone so completely over the top with her diet means she's also probably gone over the top with a brand new exercise program... It's probably water.

But it's still not enough food. You're going to burn out.
  • SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Meaning the OP should weigh their food and measure their liquids, but don't eat less than whatever's the lowest amount for them cos 1000 is far too low for anyone
    Chances are, they are eating a hell of a lot more than that without realising

Wasn't meant to come across as "eat more to get thin"
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I doubt that she's overestimating enough to gain (for me that would take an accidental 1000 (over the 1000 goal) calorie overage per day)...the fact that she's gone so completely over the top with her diet means she's also probably gone over the top with a brand new exercise program... It's probably water.

But it's still not enough food. You're going to burn out.

You'd be surprised....