Anyone deal with Axiety/Panic? Or a sensation of "forgetting" to breathe when trying to sleep?

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but I am getting nowhere with Yahoo answers.

In the past month or so, on some nights I feel as if I "forget" to breathe as I am trying to fall asleep. I will usually catch myself then "manually" make myself inhale and breathe normal. I eventually fall asleep and wake up the next morning (hooray!)

My concern is that what if during my sleep I can manually make myself breathe. I saw my ENT doctor on a separate issue (loud snoring) and this occurred, and this forgetting to breathe sensation coincidentally happened a week before my appointment. I told my doctor about it and he said that it is possible anxiety/stress related but a sleep study may tell more, since he is going to check for sleep apnea since my roommate told me that I snore loud.

I am hoping that its just anxiety as opposed to something more serious because I can work on calming my mind, and not worrying so much about life's everyday challenges (health, family, bills, work, etc.)

If anyone has dealt with this I would love to gain more info, as it can be kind of scary to me sometimes.

Replies

• hollygirl101
    hollygirl101 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about a connection between the two, but I have both. The sleep apnea (forgetting to breathe and snoring) is commonly related to family history and being overweight (or both, for me). It's happened more often than I'd like that I've woken up with a big gasp of air as if I'd been underwater too long. The anxiety I'm medicated for now, but before I knew what it was I'd wake up at night with heartburn and thinking I was having a heart attack, freak myself completely out. Fun right?
  • mhlew
    Options
    It only happens as im trying to fall asleep. I dont think i have ever woken up gasping for air. Sounds like anxiety to you maybe? I am actually doing my in home sleep study tonight to see if i have sleep apnea or not for snoring, but not sure if thats anxiety and a seperate issue
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Could be either one. Or both. Does this only happen when you sleep?
  • mhlew
    Options
    only happens when i am FALLING sleep. as for when i am asleep i am unsure. but my sleep study may detect that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your sleep study.
    Yoga breathing practiced five or more days a week for 20 mins or more can help with anxiety.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxbdx-SeOOo&index=5&list=PLhiNtEBsgk1SKo-3NnmoWMeu_BkRS_kgw :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chYUlKgQAzM