At what point does your metabolism slow down?

2»

Replies

• heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Change your goal to one pound a week. Lift heavy.

Hi! My goal is already at one pound a week. Did you mean 1/2 pound?
  • heartofplastic
    heartofplastic Posts: 68 Member
    Oh my gosh we are almost the same! Im also 26 (well in a few days im 26 haha) 5'1 currently 121ish Im looking to get somewhere below 109 (I think I set my goal to 107) I was typically about 105 most of my adult life from age 15 to 22ish . Gained a little weight after starting college and getting married haha. Add me to friends if you want!!!

Anyways, I think you seem like you are doing fine. Metabolism will slow naturally as you get older and what Ive read its not going to be enough to really notice a difference, especially at our age. Ive been doing alot of reading on MFP in the threads lately with other people asking similar things and the problem seems to rely more on the fact that as you get older you arent as active as you were as a teen/kid so its easier to gain weight (with the whole calories in and calories out thing) while it may seem its because of metabolism, it usually isnt just because as an adult we arent as active as we were before.

I would just continue to do what you are doing but I wouldnt eat less than 1200 a day as thats not very healthy. It just takes time especially on short bodies with very little to lose! :) TBH I dont think you should lose anymore but ofc its a personal choice. I also agree with another user that you might want to try weight training instead of focusing on losing more lbs!

Added! :) and I totally get the marriage thing lol - I got married a year ago and I've definitely put on some pounds since then. I refuse to join the trend of married couples getting fat together! So my husband and I have been going to the gym regularly to stay in shape but I'm kind of struggling in the food department. I saw results with the first 5 pounds super fast but it's slowing down now so I'm getting a little worried but you're right, it's just because I have less weight to lose. I guess I'll have to think more long term!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Thank you @haybales!!

I do a form of re-feeding once a week however my overall weekly calorie intake is still low. Your research is really an interesting read!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Are you doing progressive resistance ? eg following a plan that progressively builds weight/intensity etc

Because that's what you need to avoid 'skinny fat'

Thanks for the reply! I am doing weight training/strengthening with a personal trainer once a week, but that's probably not enough. How many times a week do you recommend I do this? Thanks in advance :)

3 x full body weekly.
    Learn from the PT - do it on the other 2 days.

That will give you the volume (just don't do 5 reps of course) to make some fast changes.

As you hit the reps, or go over the goal reps because the weight is easier, you eventually will drop the reps and add weight.

Progressive overload - the way to keep the strength and muscles going the right direction.

And yes - 1/2 lb weekly.