Do you now?

Hey there yall! I've been on MFP since December 2010. I went from 211 to 156. Then, SURPRISE!!! I gained it back and THEN some. Now I'm 241. I still have all of my clothes from the fit days. But I'm wondering, since I'm going back down to that size (I was a size medium from 180 down to 156), would it be beneficial to buy more Medium clothes as i fond them on sale to have a larger wardrobe when I'm back down in size? I see no point in getting clothes to fit me now when I'll be a completely different size in 3 months from now. Any ideas? Opinions? Anyone of you still buy clothes to fit your size now anyway and buy more later?

Replies

• RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    edited July 2016
    Now, admittedly, it has been 29 years since my husband and I married, but when we did, I weighed @ 180. Some months ago, at the weight of @ 125, I tried to zip my wedding dress on, and I couldn't. Now that I weigh 113-115, it fits! Weird! And it looks good! Remember I am age 67, however. But my point is to back up what @Alatariel175 wrote above: you can't always predict what your body size will be at a particular weight.

Why not just enjoy each stage of your weight loss with the clothes you love? I did this, and I have no regrets.
  • GirlonBliss
    GirlonBliss Posts: 38 Member
    I agree with SerenaMcD43! Probably don't need the clothes you have and don't fit into-buy what you're worth, now!

Sashaverlene, what are you going to do differently this time around to avoid regaining?
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited July 2016
    Buy clothes that fit NOW that make you feel & look good... my opinion is it's more motivational to reward yourself with new clothes on your way down, but you should always feel good at the size you are and dress to show it.
    You don't have to buy a whole wardrobe, but you should definitely have at least a few things you love
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    When shopping, I do both. I'll buy what fits me well now, but also look for great deals on items the next size down. It's so nice to go to my closet, pull out something that used to be too small and find it fits.
    And I always bought jeans 1 size down as a motivator.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    I'm not buying clothes for now as it's just too depressing to have buy that size. Although I'm 5'4", I have a fairly short body so when I buy jeans in my current size (UK 18, US 14) the waist is really high. Ridiculously high. I'm going to wait until I get down to a UK 14 before buying any new clothes.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    I also agree with those who said to buy clothes to make yourself feel good. I like going to consignment shops, you can get barely worn clothes for dirt cheap. I don't replace my whole wardrobe, though, just a few pieces to get me by. Nothing makes me feel bigger than clothes that don't fit correctly!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I honestly wouldn't buy anything. I see no point in wasting money on clothes that will be outgrown in a few months, and you never know how small you'll get once you've reached your goal weight either.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    I just periodically get a very limited quantity of clothes that fit "now" when my old clothes start looking noticeably bad on me. Buying a whole new wardrobe isn't a good investment when you're losing, but you don't have to look like garbage and be uncomfortable in the meantime. Check out a goodwill or salvation army store. You'd be surprised at the nice things you find.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    No, I didn't buy clothes before I could fit into them. It just feels like too much pressure. Life can get in the way sometimes. I buy things that fit now, not too tight, so that I can go to work and be comfortable. Not a whole closet full, just something you really need. If you are losing quickly, you might have to get a few items every few weeks. IDK. I lost 40lbs, but didn't buy new clothes till the old ones were falling off and looking like clown pants. I got 2 whole outfits in the middle of losing, then bought several near the end. I ended up losing even more, but those clothes still fit me now, as my weight came back up a little. So, now I have a little range of clothes 0-2. Pack away some of the nicer clothes as they get too big, you can save them or give them to friends and family.