restaurants with friends

Options
Oh boy. I'm learning a lot on this leg of my get healthier journey but the eye opening I've had about portion control . . . wow.

So now comes the first social hurdle -- going out to eat with friends. DH & I will do this 2x this coming week.

First will be 2 couples at a local German place. All those sauces . . . oh boy. Even though it's fried, my plan is to order wiener schnitzel in part because it's the only thing I like. If I manage to stick to eating half there & bringing the other half home for lunch the next day, I'm thinking that's my best bet. Sound reasonable? I'm also going to offer to be the designated driver so I have a built in reason to skip the booze.

Second outing will be a large group to an all you can eat Brazillian BBQ. Now what? Mostly it's just all grilled meats but 1 serving should be the normal cut off. I will have 1 ally at the table; one of the women had gastric surgery & lost 200 pounds so she's very careful about what she eats. I'm thinking I should just let her order first & get whatever she's having. In that setting because I'm not driving, I fear I won't have enough willpower to resist that 2nd (or gasp 3rd) glass of sangria.

I'm already starting to panic but I also keep trying to assure myself that this is not a linear process. It's a lifestyle & I can't sustain austerity. So since I've gone from mindless eating to paying attention, even those this week won't be "good" at least it's better & more mindful then my past life. That has to count for something right?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Grilled meat is usually high in protein and good.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    If you have veggies with it, then the grilled meat shouldn't be too horrible...maybe work out and have a really lightly day to make room for the sangria?
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The problem with brazilian bbq is that it is all you can eat and everyone around you will be eating tons of meat. You have to stick to your portion even though it will be difficult. Those places usually have great salad bars, so get a huge plate of salad with veggies so that your plate is full and a normal sized portion of grilled meat.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    The problem with brazilian bbq is that it is all you can eat and everyone around you will be eating tons of meat. You have to stick to your portion even though it will be difficult. Those places usually have great salad bars, so get a huge plate of salad with veggies so that your plate is full and a normal sized portion of grilled meat.

I agree with you but the cheap-o side of me is screaming. At $49 pp I'm not going to eat a salad or even the veggies they put on the table.

Also literally 1 portion is 1 thing. As you know they come around with giant skewers of chicken, pork, beef, sausage etc. 1 maybe 2 items as in 1 piece of chicken, 1 sausage, 1 slice of beef and viola I'm at my portion. So it's like going is a complete waste of money.

I probably just have to chalk this up to my indulgence week, try to squeeze in an extra workout during the week & not beat myself up.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    One meal is not going to undo everything. Just enjoy it and enjoy your company.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will learn as you go and know that no matter what, always go back to grind the next day. You have a great attitude about it and I have no doubt you will figure it out. There will be holidays with family and nights out with friends and unless you plan on not participating for the rest of your life then you're gonna need a plan. The fact that you already acknowledged this puts you ahead of the game already.
  • mathiseasy
    mathiseasy Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    One meal is not going to undo everything. Just enjoy it and enjoy your company.

This x eleventybillion.