Do you have a fat pet?

Options
walleyclan1
walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
According to the stats 30-50% cats and dogs are overweight. In my experience I think it is much higher. Pet owners are often unaware that their pets are overweight or even morbidly obese. We seem to have blinders on when it come to accessing our pets body condition.

Replies

• JessicaBR13
    JessicaBR13 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Nope! And I agree with the stats, see it every time I go to the dog beach or park.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    No, my dog works out with me and I even put my FitBit on her when we go for a walk or run. Last time in one hour she ran for more than 2 miles and burned over 2000 calories. We also feed her very well.

It's her "Daddy" that's fat...but not for long :laugh:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    lol Well the AKC weight range for a poodle is 11-17 pounds (mini).

My Sophie is a chihuahua/poodle mix and she is 11 pounds as of yesterday :smile:

580701_10100239108757945_33665615_n.jpg

969906_10100225224237635_1681557144_n.jpg
  • hustona1
    hustona1 Posts: 14
    Options
    My little 10 pound jack mutt turned into 14 pounds gradually after 3 years. Then started the back problems. I started feeding her better and kept having to tell my family and my boyfriends family to stop giving her treats & bones. Finally I took her in, and realized it was the food I was feeding her and the amount. Never realized all the bad habits, but I quickly turned them around and in no time she has lost all her weight in 4 months and is now eating fresh veggies and smaller healthier amounts of dog food. I felt so bad that I let it get that way. But Now shes back to being healthy, no back problems anymore! More trips to the dog parks and on walks! :)

2hofbqr.jpg

sfdqmx.jpg
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Really? I guess most of my friends take better care of their animals.

My cousin keeps food out all the time for her 2 dogs, & both are considered UNDER weight. Probably because she runs with them every day? lol
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Would never have a fat pet - have a horse and had dogs until I was 30. Until now it has been easier to control their eating habits than mine. :blushing:

But I'm working on that, successfully, as it seems to me. :wink:
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    my dog was two pounds overweight. we both started exercising, she lost 2, I lost 90. pwn!
  • princesspea234
    princesspea234 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    One of mine was really fat. The vet found out it was a thyroid issue. She was also grumpy and her personality had changed....like chasing the cat because she was annoyed or barking at my face for people food.

She's back to being my snuggle bug now and is in good shape.
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    Sorry...here is my Jesse Girl going full speed at the dog park...Pointer/Lab 11 months old.

ry%3D400
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My pound puppy is still underweight... but I'm trying to fatten him up a bit. I keep him pretty active, so I don't think I will have an issue with him getting fat.

I live in a retirement town and most pets I see are waddling and fat. The sad thing is that all these old people love their dogs and cats like children and overfeed them as a result.... well... lets just say we have some VERY well fed coyotes in our area.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    My two dogs are spot on weight wise according to the vet. My two kids were spot on and so is OH. I am very good at controlling everyone elses weight, but then I don't want them to be miserable like I was.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    39748_606917716885_5914759_n.jpg

I'm so in love with this little girl its DISGUSTING!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Okay I'm done.
  • BigDnSW
    Options
    @angellams...it's not disgusting...it's cool...so here we go...

ry%3D400
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    I don't think my cat is overweight. I only feed her once a day lol
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    And my child is on the smaller end of average so I think I do well with them!!! it;'s just me that I overfeed!!!!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a slightly overweight dog. It's been a challenge to get her underweight because she's food aggressive with her sister and lords over all the dog bowls. But we're working on it.
  • angelams1019
    Options
    @BigDnSW- Here's an action shot of Sophie at the park! :)

74579_625035618465_476409_n.jpg
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Nope. I make sure both my dogs keep on top of their weight for their size.
  • pennelope515
    pennelope515 Posts: 369
    Options
    No, my dog is the ideal weight for his body. But my mom always has overweight dogs! She gives them treats anytime they do ANYTHING!
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I cried when I saw the pic of your little dog ,she is the image of my little girl that I lost last year...she was 18 years old and had gone deaf and blind......I loved her soooo much????????????????????????