Starting Over

Options
Sjs8906
Sjs8906 Posts: 6 Member
About three years ago I lost 30 pounds (from 195 to 165) and plateaued. I felt good at 165 and didn't track as diligently anymore, and eventually hovered around 170 for a while. I then began running long distance and got down to 160. I felt GREAT though I would have liked to lose a little more.

I then moved to Asia and due to food limitations and language barriers and being unsure of what things were in the store I stopped tracking and just ate whatever, but it was very fresh food and largely not processed so I gained a little but not much, and again hovered around 170.

Moved back to the states and I've stayed at 170 for a little over a year. About 2 months ago my husband moved to another state (short-term) for work and I've practically stopped cooking for myself all together , stopped meal planning, started grabbing takeout or fast food which used to only happen once or twice a month, and just basically stopped taking care of myself (unintentionally) in favor of convenience. I also went off birth control just before that and I think that's thrown my body off a little too.

I visited my husband last week and we had some photos taken together and I looked HUGE. I've been noticing my clothes are tighter and I've started getting short-winded going up stairs but hadn't stepped on the scale in ages, out of fear or shame I suppose. Well last week I finally weighed myself and I was up to 191. I nearly broke down in tears. I've kept the weight off all this time and I managed to gain almost all of it back in 2 months.

That was the wakeup call I needed. I've started eating well again, tracking, and going to the gym and have lost 3 pounds in the first week (water weight, I'm sure, but it's nice to see the scale going down). I have to get back down to a healthy weight.

Here's to starting over :smile:

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your determination
    I found a useful thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040368/some-thoughts-on-starting-over/p1
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I can imagine how disappointed you were but, at least you've started again. Well done! You can do it again. Good luck.
  • RachelJudt
    RachelJudt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me. I lost a lot of weight, kept it off for a couple years, exercised more and felt great. Then we moved. A lot more convenience food, and cost of living was higher, so I started supplementing with pasta and rice just to get by. Then, same as you, I realized my clothes didn't fit and I was huffing when I went up the stairs. Yikes! I put on like 60 pounds in a YEAR!! I about freaked out. I'm 2 weeks in again, and I'm starting to feel better. Down a little more than 6lbs.

Anyway, I totally support you, and I friended you here, too.