Vegan runners

Options
Hi guys, I've been running on and off since 2005 but I'm a new vegan and I was just wondering if there are others on here and how they are getting on? Just starting training for my second marathon in October after a long break due to injury. Thanks!

Replies

• tinkymoe
    tinkymoe Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too am just returning to exercise and running due to injury - torn meniscus and needed surgery - and am training (will be as of Aug 1st) for a 1/2 marathon in Feb. I am not new to plant based eating and strive to follow the advice of Dr. Furhman, Dr. McDougall and Dr. Esselstyn, Happy Herbivore etc and follow a no added oil, salt or fat whole foods, plant based diet.
  • deegrimes95
    deegrimes95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow you must be healthy! If you don't mind me asking, if you don't add oil that must reduce your cooking methods right? And how do you dress a salad? I will google these doctors, I've just started checking out no meat athlete and I like his advice so far. I'd love to hear more about your experience, do you need to take any supplements or do you get everything you need from your diet? Sorry for all the questions!
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    tinkymoe wrote: »
    I too am just returning to exercise and running due to injury - torn meniscus and needed surgery - and am training (will be as of Aug 1st) for a 1/2 marathon in Feb. I am not new to plant based eating and strive to follow the advice of Dr. Furhman, Dr. McDougall and Dr. Esselstyn, Happy Herbivore etc and follow a no added oil, salt or fat whole foods, plant based diet.

That sounds bland, literally what meals can you have?! I eat a lot of vegan Asian vegetarian food as my main meal of the day (I'm not vegan so eat whatever I want otherwise) but cannot imagine leaving seasonings and oil out, my tastebuds would seriously suffer!! What's a typical meal for you?