Anyone with Sleep Apnea?

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
I did a in-home sleep study last night and felt I slept horribly. I kept looking at the device to make sure it was still on, i coudelnt sleep on my stomach fearing the button would press on the bed and turn it off, and when Id sleep on my side i had to adjust the wires so they did not get tangled up.

Hopefully I can still get a accurate reading even though I slept bad. Doctor said they need at least 2-3 hours of sleep so I hope I got that in at least.

With that said- I am praying I do not have it, but if I do I will embrace the recommended treatment and always work on losing weight. I guess the positive note is worst case that it is detected, that it is 100% manageable.

Has anyone had it and once diagnosed and treated with CPAP did you feel a difference? I heard I snore and that's it. I don't feel unsually tired, and never fall asleep at the wheel or anything. Any experience would be appreciated tuo hear your experience.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CPAP definitely makes a difference. Obesity or genetics can cause sleep apnea. For example, my cousin was diagnosed when she was thin and it's because of the way her tounge and mouth are shaped. I'm going to be retested in a few months now that I'm close to my goal weight. If they don't get enough hours of sleep on the test, they can still treat it based on the info that is collected. My first study was in an overnight clinic and my sleep was horrible. My retest will be at home, so hopefully it will go better.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I used to have it but don't anymore since I've lost over 20% of my body weight. When I did the study, they said I stopped breathing 55 times an hour! I used the CPAP and noticed a huge difference in my energy levels throughout the day. I used to feel tired all the time no matter how long I slept. After using the CPAP, I felt a big difference right away. Good luck.
  • as5811
    as5811 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Have sleep apnea & use CPAP machine. It does take a little while to get used to the machine. I do sleep a lot better & feel rested. I'm trying to lose weight & maybe not need to use the CPAP. At my last check up the doctor said I don't stop breathing with the CPAP anymore since I've lost weight. I need to lose more & hopefully lose the CPAP, too.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have sleep apnea. Two years ago, I had my last overnight check--turns out I was "waking up" due to stopped breathing about 60 times an hour, which is terrible. Since I've lost 50 pounds, though, I find I do not need my machine anymore!!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    A buddy of mine has a CPAP I remember before he was diagnosed. Poor guy looked like crap, would drift off during conversation. I belive he was an extreme cases as during his study they put him on a machine! He's so much different now looks great wide awake.

I belive I was borderline, heavy snore er. Losing 55 pounds changed all that. I sleep like a kid and well rested.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    My first sleep study was 15 years ago. I've had a CPAP ever since. I stopped breathing 75 times an hour. I love the thing. Without it I would have died from the heart stress already.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Also I have a narrow throat. Apnea frequently is due to this and weight gain can be a by product of self medicating to try to stay awake and functioning. Then you can get on a cycle of gain making the apnea worse which leads to less activity and more eating to stay alert and then more gain.

I'll probably never be off the machine or something like it but my weight loss is leading me to needing lower air pressure.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Yep. My husband and I were both diagnosed 2 years ago (within a month of each other). I always suspected I had it because about 1-2x a year, I'd wake up gasping for air, feeling Iike I'd been held underwater. When I finally had my sleep study, I learned that there are "occurrences" that you don't know about, so those couple of times a year were only the really bad times.

I'm not overweight by more than about 10 pounds (husband too), so ours is a structural/genetic issue. However, I LOVE my cpap. Just took it overseas for a 3 week vacation in Europe. After the first month of use, I felt like a new person. Now, with regular exercise and a cpap, I get 8 solid, uninterrupted hours of sleep EVERY NIGHT. It's heaven. It took a little getting used to, but the alternative is heart failure, so I decided to hang in there. It's totally worth it. I didn't want the diagnosis either, but when I read the material about what happens to your heart if you have it, I was scared straight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have it. My AHI was 87, which is turrrrrrble. The CPAP was, probably literally, a lifesaver. It helped me get enough sleep so I started feeling human again. I got it in October and felt better immediately but completely rested took about 8 weeks. Then in Jan was when I started working on diet, then exercise, etc. The machine made a world of difference. My apnea is mild now and I have the machine but only use it when I have a cold/am stuffed up.
  • mhlew
    Options
    I will be curious to know of my sleep study results. Did you guys suspect you had it? Other than hearing from others that I snore, I have never woken up gasping for air (not that i can remember at least) and have never fallen asleep at work, or on the road. I am just getting a study done cause I heard I snore loud.

In the past month only on some nights, right before I fall asleep I feel as if I "forgot" to breathe. Not sure if this is sleep apnea since it technically happens as I am lying awake trying to sleep. Its kind of a scary sensation but my ENT doctor said it is possible it can be stress/anxiety related. anyone experience this?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was sure I had it. I woke up gasping for air and snored big time. My husband left the bedroom to sleep elsewhere one time and I made the appointment to be seen about it.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    I will be curious to know of my sleep study results. Did you guys suspect you had it? Other than hearing from others that I snore, I have never woken up gasping for air (not that i can remember at least) and have never fallen asleep at work, or on the road. I am just getting a study done cause I heard I snore loud.

In the past month only on some nights, right before I fall asleep I feel as if I "forgot" to breathe. Not sure if this is sleep apnea since it technically happens as I am lying awake trying to sleep. Its kind of a scary sensation but my ENT doctor said it is possible it can be stress/anxiety related. anyone experience this?

This is quite possibly SP because the airway is becoming obstructed as as you relax into sleep.

If you are diagnosed, compliance with the CPAP is very important, regardless of whether you "feel better" or not. It's not really about snoring, it's about an obstructed airway that causes you stop breathing momentarily. You can die when you stop breathing, that's why it's such a big deal. The doctors have all kinds of reports they can look at that the CPAP machine creates, so they can tell how well treated the condition is.

A comfortable mask is the key to effective treatment (no air leaks) and COMPLIANCE. There are many styles of masks, so if the first one isnt' comfortable, go back to your supplier and get a different style. It didnt' take me long to get used to it. Good luclk!
  • mhlew
    Options
    What is SP? Unless you meant SA? (sleep apnea?)
  • mhlew
    Options
    And yes if I am diagnosed with it (crossing fingers Im not!!) but if i am i will embrace the recommended treatment wether that be a mouth guard, or CPAP. It sounds like it can 100% be managed if that's the case?

Always working on weight loss too.
  • lorrpb
    Options
    What is SP? Unless you meant SA? (sleep apnea?)

Yes, SA
  • lorrpb
    Options
    And yes if I am diagnosed with it (crossing fingers Im not!!) but if i am i will embrace the recommended treatment wether that be a mouth guard, or CPAP. It sounds like it can 100% be managed if that's the case?

Always working on weight loss too.

Yes, for most people.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I was never tested, but I would wake up occasionally gasping for air, snored, and my husband observed me stop breathing or appear to be struggling to breathe in my sleep many times. I also had the thing where I would drift off partially and then wake up with the sensation that I had stopped breathing. I didn't pursue it because I knew what the root cause would be and couldn't imagine sleeping with a CPAP.

Again, not tested, but my husband hasn't seen me stop breathing in a long time, and I no longer snore at all since losing weight. I'm of the opinion that I did have it, and it's not an issue anymore. But no medical confirmation.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I did the home test and slept like crap but it was sufficient to diagnose my sleep apnea. Took a few nights to get used to the machine- it was one that adjusts airflow as you need it, and I can use nasal pillows rather than having to wear a full mask. It took a few weeks for me to get caught up on sleep and once I had, I felt SO MUCH BETTER! Having now lost a bunch of weight, I don't snore any more - but if I don't use my machine I am tired after a few days so I know I still need it.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I guess I have it. Did the test years ago, was lent the CPAP for a month, and the people at the company were so obnoxious that I gave them back the machine and went on without it.